Friday, October 06, 2006

Eccentricity and Sock ?s

I'm always considered the odd woman who knits whenever I go to my kids' classes or the library or wherever. I've never seen anyone else knit in public outside of fiber fests and knitting groups. I know it has to happen, I've just never seen it. But I persist in taking my lace and socks into public and working. I've also occasionally taken my spindles out and about. And I always get attention and it's funny because boys around 10-years-old or so usually show the most interest in the spindles or my knitting. They will ask questions like "is it hard?" or "how does it work". Women will occasionally ask what I'm doing, but have little interest in the technical side of it. They'll usually comment that they couldn't do that. I've learned it rarely does any good to actually ask if they'd like to learn. My thinking is that if someone really wants to learn something then they will make a nice effort. Most of them know where to find me and can guess I'm more than willing to teach.

Girls, especially pre-teens and teenagers, usually glance at me, but will rarely ask anything. Although occasionally, there is one who is genuinely intrigued and curious, but it's not the norm. I wonder if most girls just think it's old-fashioned and don't want anything to do with it and boys don't have that stereotype to deal with. Who knows, but Wednesday I took my spinning wheel into the front yard while the kiddos were playing. School buses and cars did actually slow a bit to glance and see what I was doing. I know a couple were trying hard to glance without staring. Now I have no doubts I'll be considered the neighborhood eccentric. I'm okay with that.

So, anyway, Lolly asked these question in relation to sock-making:

When did you start making socks? I took knitting back up about two years ago and after working on a huge stockinette scarf and making a couple more scarves, I just had an inexplicable desire to make socks. So I picked up Knit Socks! from Betsy McCarthy (it's the one shaped like a sock). The kitchener was what gave me the most trouble. I think I have it perfected now.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? My first pair was the Starter Socks in the above book in Cascade Quattro. They didn't hold up very well because I wore them continuously and they didn't have any nylon in them.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I love Trekking. The colors are just so neat the way they are never exactly the same. Also, Lorna's Laces. And I recently discovered Lisa Souza's handpaints. Gorgeous stuff and so soft!

How do you make your socks? I knit them on DPNs. I am a DPN girl and probably always will be.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? Definitely heel flap. I've tried both short row and afterthought heels and I just don't like how either fit my foot. The flap is the most comfortable to me.

How many pairs have you made? 20 pairs (give or take a pair or two).

Enjoy making socks!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, the standard response, oh that's so neat, I could never do that. I'd like to do that, but I never could.

I've taken to responding, thanks. And leaving it at that.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Funny, here in Seattle I usually see at least one other knitter when I plunk down in a coffee shop.

I find kids recognize a sock when I'm knitting it. It's the adults who are puzzled.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had weird comments, from "I could never do that" to "why can't you just buy socks? They're cheap, you know!" People are weird.

I am also a DPN gal. and always will be!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Here's to DPN's! I was at a church meeting this week and we were introducing ourselves around the table. After I introduced myself, the next lady said, "Dorothy's the one who always has her knitting with her." I didn't that night because I thought it might be rude to knit at at church meeting. But I guess there are worse ways to be remembered!
dswaite@mac.com

10:41 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

I notice I get the most comments when I'm out spindling as well. I think it's great that you persist in KIP'ing!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home