Wednesday, September 20, 2006

WIP Wednesday

I think Margene said it perfectly the other day after she finished her lovely Seraphim. There is an ennui after finishing a beautiful lace project where it's hard to really get into anything else. That's not to say there's nothing to show today. I've actually made a bit of progress on several different things because I haven't been able to stick to just one thing.

For the first couple of days after finishing Icarus, I didn't even feel like knitting, so I played with my Golding spindle and some lovely pink to pink-purple silk I got at this year's MD S&W.

Yes, that is tiny thread that I'm making there. I knit with tiny thread, so that's what I spin. It will take a while, but while I'm quoting Margene, "It's the process." You may not believe it, since I do love a finished project, but I am more of a process knitter and spinner. That's probably why I typically can't stick to one project because I need a little lace and some Fair Isle and maybe some socks and spinning. There's always something for me to work on no matter my mood.

Since I just finished a lovely lace project, I really didn't feel the call to laceweight just yet, so it's a good thing I had a couple of non-laceweight projects in the works.

The snowman vest

and the Wool Peddlar's Shawl (the color of which I just can't seem to really capture no matter how many pictures or playing with Adobe).

I think socks are calling to me again. Not in an obsessive, it's-the-only-thing-I'm-going-to-work-on way like a few months ago, but I have a pair that I came across the other day that really wants to be finished and I have such lovely sock yarn in my stash and there's Lolly's second annual Socktoberfest coming up. (She's up to over 700 participants as of this morning. Wow!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I don't get the whole spinning thing but you do spin some pretty stuff!

I love the vest, it's gonna ba so cute!

Isn't Socktoberfest exciting? Almost 800 participants!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like all your projects are coming along lovely. That snowy pattern on your vest, is the same as on my current vest too.

By the way, your Icarus turned out lovely. Question, did you knit it exactly as directed, or did you add any additional repeats. Yours looks much bigger then the one shown in the magazine.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

That silk your spinning looks like so much fun! I totally understand about being a process spinner/knitter. I just don't ever see myself using a Fair Isle sweater here in Hawaii. >:)

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I have never gotten the hang of the spindle- a wheel yes, but the spindle and I are just not friends...

what yarn are you using for the wool peddler's shawl again? It looks pretty (even if you can't get the color to show up right)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow, that's very lovely and fine stuff you're spinning!

I don't think the post-project letdown is limited to lace. I get it on big projects that I'm really into, such as my Knitting Olympics sweater. I don't get it on small projects like socks - maybe that's why I like them.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Wow! What beautiful even spinning! That's really going to be something. And I love your fair isle work. Just beautiful!

The shawl from the last post is amazing too. You do beautiful work!

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home