Friday, September 08, 2006

I am a Yarn Snob

I freely admit it. I am a yarn snob. I usually do not work with acrylic anymore and it's because I just don't like it. My Sit 'N' Knit friends and I are making friendship afghans, basically we're each doing a unique square in each person's color and then we'll put them together and each have a small afghan with nine 12 X 12 squares. We decided on a certain brand of acrylic yarn because it's very available and it's washable and it does soften a little with use and washings. I used to use the stuff when I crocheted a lot, but I was on a tight budget then. Now, I've become a terrible yarn snob and I really just don't like working with it. It hurts my hands and it's incredibly slow even though it's worsted weight. I just don't like it. There, I've said it. I feel better now.

Here's some eye candy in exchange for the complaint:

Seed beads and Swarovski crystals to play with. (I know, I know, I have enough things to work on.) Not pictured are the pretty white glass pearls that I got for Icarus. I figure you'll see those soon enough.

9 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

OOO I lve the little boxes! Are they yours or did you order the beads in them?

Love-
THE Yarn Snob Extraordinaire :)

9:12 PM  
Blogger nat said...

I don't like acrylic either, except for that really soft baby stuff. Some of that is really nice, even though it's plastic. :)

Though, after knitting with cashmere it's really hard to use any man made fiber. :p

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you, I don't like acrylic yarn either, not at all! Of course it's a question of money, but when a knitter has worked with cashmere or silk or merino once, then most probably won't touch acrylic anymore either ;)

3:04 AM  
Blogger Tonni said...

I've crocheted many many afghans out of acrylic yarn.... no more!I became a yarn snob when I started knitting and found the LYS. I'll blame it on them :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, those look like they'd be great boxes for special stitchmarkers, too.

I'm also a yarn snob. :)

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a yarnsnobb too, because I don't like acrylic eighter. I hate knit with it, right now I love alpacca.And fancy sockyarn, he he.

4:30 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

i learned my lesson with crappy yarn. only use acrylic for presents that i know won't be handwashed.
love those tiny bead boxes! did they come in those boxes?

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, I love beads. Pretty pretty!

I am a complete yarn snob too, so don't be so hard on yourself. While you knit with that gawd-awful acrylic, just close your eyes and try to think of something else until it's over. I use that trick on lots of things. ;)

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acrylic is really good for toys (because of its stiffness actually) but other then that, I avoid it like the plague, so I totally hear you.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home