Monday, August 14, 2006

Red Yarn

Thanks to everyone for all the comments on the Swallowtail. It really is a nice shawl and easy to do. I highly recommend it! And thank you to Irie who pointed out that it was the Fall 2006 issue of Interweave Knits not the Winter one. Since I was too lazy to verify the measurements, I was also too lazy to verify the exact issue, but I guess most of you knew what I meant:)

Isn't this some lovely yarn? My mom found a red silk sweater at a thrift store and I unravelled it for around 2900 yards of lovely red laceweight silk. The color in the picture probably isn't too accurate. It is a true red. No hint of warm or cool undertones. Not sure exactly which shawl it's going to be yet, but the yarn, or thread rather, is quite thin. Hmmm, possibly the Tina Shawl. (I would love to do the Mediterranean shawl from Gathering of Lace, but I don't have quite enough for that.)

Madli's coming along. I'm a little over half-way done. I think this time she might actually get finished. I tried starting the Icarus shawl in that lovely pink alpaca silk I got from Webs, but if you remember for the Forest Path Stole I had to unply the cable ply for a thinner thread and I think I might have to do that with the pink as well because I wasn't happy with it as it is.

After seeing the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice from Netflix a couple of weeks ago, I decided to re-read the book for about the thousandth time (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration) and I also decided I needed my very own copy of the movie as well. Colin Firth just broods so well, doesn't he?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful yarn! Recycling sweaters is such a cool thing, unfortunately I've never found one recycle worthy yet.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

And she scores! What an awesome find. :-) Any idea on what you'll do with it?

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this yarn is so lovely - silk, now, that's heaven to work with! I haven't found any recycable sweater yet, but I'm on the hunt, so everyone beware ;)
And Colin Firth - yummy, what a man! There's hardly any actors around these days that have, in my humble personal opinion, the looks AND the talent, but Colin certainly is amongst those very few who has both! And I share your passion for "Pride and Prejudice" - the first book I read in english ages ago, and I still love it!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow on the shawls- the Swallowtail is really something (I haven't gotten my copy of IK yet and am getting impatient with them- I have a subscription and I know as soon as I give in and buy one, it will show up in my mailbox)
and the Faux Russian is also reall beautiful. You are one heck of a lace-knitting diva these days!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow - I'm impressed that you recovered that yarn from a thriftstore sweater. I always MEAN to, but never do!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Jinann said...

I am soooo envious of the gorgeous red yarn you've resurrected! Lucky you!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home