Friday, August 04, 2006

The Story of Madli

A little over a year ago, I started the Madli shawl in a miscellaneous silk yarn I had. I had to frog and start over countless times and just couldn't get it to work. I kept making small, stupid mistakes that threw the whole pattern off. So, I quit. For the first time, something had beaten me. I couldn't quite accept it, but I got on with other things. I started my Faux Russian Stole, finished Lace Dream. A few weeks later, I saw some beautiful versions of Madli and knew I couldn't just give up, so I tried another yarn and started her again. She was working up beautifully; I loved the pattern and the new Jewels color was exactly what she needed. She was going so beautifully.

Then I got distracted. I got some gorgeous handpainted yarn and I started a Landscape Shawl. I got a spinning wheel. I started socks and a sweater and Christmas presents, and Madli and the Faux Russian Stole got tossed in a basket and forgotten. (Well, except for the time when I had to steal her size 5 needles to work on something else. I did feel guilty about that because it said she wouldn't be worked on for quite a while.) Then I got on a sock kick and worked and worked on socks, but when I finally burned out on socks, instead of starting a new shawl, I decided to pull the Faux Russian from her fate and figured out where I was in the pattern (luckily I've become smart enough to make notes as I go) and finished her. (She's still not blocked. Just guess why.) Still Madli waited. I had started a Trellis scarf using my new size 5s and I didn't want to have to switch the tips back and forth, so still she waited. I started the Forest Path Stole and still Madli waited patiently. She waits no more. I picked her back up and she is being happily worked on. She's not punishing me because I left her for so long, but is happy to be un-neglected.


For those of you keeping track, STILL no blocking wires. If they don't arrive today, I'm going to call and ask them to send me another set. Which is what I'm probably going to have to do because these just seem to have completely disappeared.

Interesting to note: I don't particularly like doing nupps, yet all three of the shawls I'm currently working on - Swallowtail Shawl, Forest Path Stole, and Madli - all have nupps. Hmmm.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad she's not punishing you. She'll be beautiful when she's done. I'll be anxious to hear how you like the blocking wires, i'm very tempted to order myself some.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes its not quite the right time to make something and sometimes the project has to wait for its "right time." That happens to me all the time. Anyway the Madli shawl is beautiful and lovely, and I am sure you will do a wonderful job.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Annalea said...

Have you tried the YarnHarlot's wire-free blocking? Just thought I'd post a link, in case you got tired of waiting for your wires. :o)

I'm a new knitter, and aspire to lace, someday . . . I have several skeins of really pretty Knit Picks alpaca/silk laceweight, but I haven't found a lace pattern yet that doesn't scare the bejeebers out of me. lol Do you know of any good beginner's lace patterns? I'd love to make it into a scarf that's fluffy and light and warm.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I had the Madli on my shawl to make list for awhile, but a bunch of my IK's got lost in a move. Yours is turning out so lovely I might purchase another copy of that magazine! Thanks for the inspiration!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm glad Madli's finally coming into her own!

Hmm, maybe you only THINK you don't like nupps?? ;)

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home