Monday, July 24, 2006

Heartbreaking

As I was showing off my lovely one-third done Trellis Scarf last night to my Sit 'N' Knit friends, one of them asked me, "What's this?" Can you see it? (First of all, the picture just sucks, but since showing you the Trellis Scarf in all its glory isn't the point of the picture just ignore the bad coloring and look for the big gaping hole.) You do see it, don't you? You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

How about a closer view?
(Okay, the colors are actually a bit more accurate in this picture and yes, I know the picture is blurry, but again, that's not really the point.) Yep, apparently, very close to the beginning I missed one or two of the seven stitches on a make 5 from 7 stitch and it finally unravelled. Now, if this was anything but the cashmere that I longed over for several weeks before finally deciding to treat myself, anything but the cashmere, I would be sorely tempted to fix it as best as I could and sew it closed. Done. But alas, it is the cashmere and I can't have anything but the most perfectly done pattern, so it's getting ripped today to the gaping hole. Lesson learned; be VERY careful to make sure there are seven loops on the needle when knitting seven together. *Sigh* My friend kept apologizing for pointing it out and I kept telling her that I'm very glad she did before I got any farther. The good news is that this scarf doesn't take very long at all, so I should be caught up pretty quickly. Especially when I tell you the other good knitting news. (Yes, there is some.) The Faux Russian is nearly done. I am on the top border and will likely finish today.

You'll have to wait until the blocking wires come in (hopefully this week) before catching a glimpse. Yes, I've finally gotten sick of sticking hundreds of pins into a shawl and thought I'd try the "easy" way for a change. We'll see how it goes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear! heartbreaking is the word. I found two moth holes in a very intricate Shetland shawl I made 16 years ago, so I know your pain. I can guarantee you'll be glad you frogged, but it is no fun. You will love the blocking wires. It really cuts down on blocking time.
Dorothy (Missouri Star)
dswaite@mac.com

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh drat! I hate that sinking feeling in the stomach when you realise there is a big hole in your knitting...and, for me anyway, it's always even more aggravating when someone else sees and points it out to you, then if I had found it myself... hmm wonder why that is... but as you say, it's not too far back...

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are correct that the cashmere deserves the best. Unfortunately, in this instance, ripping is involved.

Perhaps it's a good thing, though, as now you get to spend a bit more time with the cashmere? I'm thinking this may be the case. A plot by the cashmere to spend more time with you. Yes, indeed. That's some wise cashmere.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yikes! How sad. And nothing to do but rip, with that sort of pattern. But I can certainly understand your desire to have it perfect!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

*wince*....

but i'm in awe of your talent *S* can't wait to see FR...your projects are all so pretty :)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch- but the scarf will look so lovely once you are done re-knitting it. It will definetly be worth the effort.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home