Friday, June 23, 2006

Waterfall Rib Socks

I love these socks! These have to be the favorite socks that I have made to date. I love the colorway, the pattern, and the fit. I mean all my socks have fit, but these fit. They are just wonderful all around. (You can click on the picture for a bigger view. They really are nice socks!)
Specs: Waterfall Rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks on size 0s in Trekking color 106.

I do love patterns, but stockinette is such a wonderful break. Look how much I got done on my new socks for Project Spectrum and Summer of Socks last night.

I worked on them while watching Quigley Down Under which was on TV last night. I love westerns (okay, technically it's set in the Australian Outback, but it's a western), I love Tom Selleck, and I love Alan Rickman. Alan Rickman plays the typical nasty character that he does so well. (Isn't he the perfect Snape?) And well, would I be dating myself too much if I said I grew up watching Magnum, P.I.?

Shortly after Quigley went off, we had a heck of a thunderstorm. The lightening was like a strobe light all night, bad thunder and pretty scary wind. It got so bad around 10:30 that I got the kids out of bed and we sat in front of the basement door for about half an hour, ready to go down if something happened. My tomato plants took a beating, the cages were ripped out of the ground, but I think we only lost a couple of branches and not the whole plants. Our neighbor, however, lost a tree.

We lost a tree in the very same spot in our yard a couple of years ago in a similar wind storm. It's really too bad seeing as how this is a fairly new subdivision with few enough big trees as it is. It was a nice tree and a pretty scary storm. We're supposed to have more storms today. Oh, joy.

14 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Beautiful socks, present and future :)

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are fantastic! Totally and completely fantastic.

It almost makes me want to get out Sensational Knitted Socks and take a gander through it to find a pair of socks to knit. But that would involve spending my already insignificant knitting time not knitting Spring Shawl and that just won't do.

So, please, more stockinette socks. Those don't tempt me right now. :)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

That must have been some storm!

Okay, Alan Rickman. I completely adore the man. If you haven't seen it, there is a British film you must get your hands on called "Truly, Madly, Deeply" He sings in it and plays the good guy. Even looks like someone you could bring home to meet the parents (you think I'm kidding?) The film came out about the same time as Ghost but was far better. Go get it, you'll love it.

Great socks! I haven't been in much of a sock knitting mode lately...... maybe that will change soon ;)

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge tom Selleck fan too, also grew up watching Magnum PI.

Great socks, they are quite lovely.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous socks! I'm sorry about the tree. I'd be quite sad myself.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I hope you made it through (or are making it through) any storms today - sounds like what we had last Friday night.

Your Trekking socks turned out so well!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I love to see some examples of the socks from Sensational Knitted Socks and how they knit up. The Waterfall Rib may not have cought my eye in the book but your socks look great so now I'll have to give that one a try!

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks. I love the color and the pattern.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are beautiful! simple and gorgeous.
Take care in the thunderstorm...

3:36 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Hiya, your waterfall socks look brilliant. The colours and pattern are just lovely.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are amazing- I keep holding off on buying that book, but I think I will eventually have to cave...

The storms have been really bad here too (which would make sense since I am just one state south of you.) Our big problem is flooding. Yesterday I was out running errands when the deluge hit, and the highway began to flood just as I was trying to get home. At times, my car sort of "floated" as I hit high water (which I didn't realize was high water becase i could hardly see anything)- which was a scary feeling even though I drive a big sedan..... anyway the car and I made it home okay, but it hasn't stopped raining here..

6:51 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I love your Waterfall socks! Really pretty. I watched Magnum PI too.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

hey alison, how's baby julie doing?

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finished a pair of Waterfall Rib Socks last week. I think the pattern shows up better in your socks than in mine. I used Regia Silk in a black (looks more charcoal) to me. I thought the solid color would show the pattern well, but yours are much prettier than mine. Congrats!!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home