Thursday, June 08, 2006

Something Special

Remember the "something special" I ordered on my free day? Last month at my guild meeting, a local shop came to show their wares. Well, it was May and I knew my May free day was already taken by the upcoming Sheep and Wool festival that Saturday, so I passed up on something really gorgeous. Besides, it was a little more than I would usually spend on a skein of yarn. But those colors kept haunting me. They were so pretty and that skein of yarn was so soft. So, I finally broke down and wrote them to ask if they might possibly still have a skein left of the "muted purples". One of the owners sent me a generous sample of two yarns to see if one of them was "the one". Yep, one of them was "the one", so I used my free day to order some sock yarn and the skein of muted purples. It came today.

Five hundred yards of pure cashmere laceweight. (Need I say that the picture just doesn't do this yarn justice?) Like I said in a recent post, I don't like many outrageously expensive things, so I figure a skein of cashmere is an appropriate treat for myself. It's enough for a scarf and I'm thinking that the colors might work in something rather lacey since the colors are very muted and subtle. I've started swatching for another Trellis Scarf with the little bit she sent me and I think it might work. When I finish the swatch, I'll post and ask for opinions, but right now, I'm just enjoying the colors and the feel. It is so soft!

I can definitely say it wasn't an impulse purchase. It was well-thought over, so I can say that for the Yarn Focus Challenge!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks gorgeous, sounds like it will make a gorgeous scarf.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, yummy! Excellent use of your free day! It's beautiful.

I'm anxious to know how you like the trellis pattern, I was thinking of making that with my cashmere stuff.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is one of THE most beatiful things I have seen ... you're going to have some gorgeous trellis scarf

1:25 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, how perfect - gorgeous purples... and cashmere?! I bet it's divine.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. my. god. that is seriously beautiful yarn!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home