Sunday, May 28, 2006

Green Thumb and Yarn Focus Challenge

Other than the Snake Plant bloom, I don't really think of myself as having a green thumb. That's why my indoor plants are all very hard to kill, like snake plants. As for outdoor plants, sure I can grow flowers, but my flower bed usually looks more like a jungle than an organized flower bed. But for some reason, I do really well with plants that produce produce. Currently, we have two strawberry bushes and three tomato plants and all are doing very well. We've had a few strawberries every day now and just waiting for the tomatoes to ripen. So I thought I'd share pictures of my produce plants for Project Spectrum.

As for the Yarn Focus Challenge, I almost caved. I would have caved because Red Bird Knits was having a 20% off sale for two days only and I had been eyeing some silk laceweight for a while and well, 20%, how could I resist? Well, I resisted only because the color that I really wanted was out of stock. So I'm still in. I'll likely stay in for the rest of it. I have my June free day to look forward to. I'll be buying more sock yarn and some laceweight for Icarus.

But, I likely won't participate in any more "alongs" that limit yarn buying days, no more stash-alongs for me. I do appreciate being in the YFC and I'm glad that I'm participating this time around because it's made me realize something about myself. I like yarn. And I really don't like being limited about buying it. I know the purpose of the challenge was for participants to really think about the purchase before making it. And I have thought about it; I've missed out on a couple of yarns that I really would have liked to have because I did think about it and now I'm feeling "non-buyers remorse" a bit. (One was this beautiful laceweight cashmere in muted purples.) I know I didn't really need the yarn, but I wanted it. I think it really goes to this – Yarn is my indulgence. I don't really wear a lot of makeup or perfumes. The few pieces of jewelry I own are purely sentimental. I don't own (or really desire to own) expensive clothes or shoes. I have two kids, so I don't have much time to indulge myself in a warm bath or day at the spa or salon. I'm not really sure I would indulge in the spa if I had the time or money. So, yarn is my indulgence. Yarn and roving are things I like to have around just to touch, to look at, to knit up, to spin. I love the textures and colors of yarn (and also fabrics) and I love watching colors as I spin or knit. It's fascinating to me. Compared to jewelry or really nice shoes, a skein of sock yarn or laceweight is not really all that expensive. And as I don't indulge myself often I'd really like to be able to buy an occasional skein of laceweight cashmere or silk to make myself a pretty scarf when I want it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I can totally relate to what your wrote about not participating in any limiting alongs! I went through similar feelings and thoughts when I did SAL and dropped out because of it.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I hear ya Ali. For me, it was a way to be more aware of the impulse purchases...you know, the stuff we buy because we need a lift for whatever reason. Because of that, I would do it again but if i came upon a great deal or a one of a kind must have...well,rules can be broken :)

I've stuck to the challenge and I'm gonna donate my "prize" as the rules state but I'm gonna tell Rebekah to take my name out for the final drawing....winning all that yarn kinda defeats the purpose for me...I'll root for you tho! :)

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love what you said about loving yarn. I've thought the same thing: aside from Birkinstocks every few years, I spend very little on shoes, clothes, etc. And, I haven't had a whole day off from being a mom in 7+ years. Yarn is my indulgence. Glad I'm not the only one.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, I think that is one thing the YFC has done for me is made me appreciate yarn a bit more.

I hope the YFC hasn't caused you any undue stress though, remember it's completely voluntary and should you choose to buy yarn, that's your choice, no one will think anything bad of you. Several of individuals have opted to purchase on non-free days.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Well said! I agree completely, I splurge money on very few things, I rarely shop for myself, I think yarn/fiber is an acceptable use of my money.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home