Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Did You Know...

that Snake Plants (also known as Mother-in-Law's tongue) have flowers?

I didn't know they flower until I saw the flowers sticking up in the pot. I thought a seed had somehow got into the pot and flowered, but it was coming from the plant, so I googled it and sure enough snake plants will bloom, but only if really cramped in their pots. (Guess never re-potting has its advantages.) Don't the blooms look really inconsistent with the plant? I thought it was very appropriate for Project Spectrum.

Speaking of PS, the socks I'm making for my mom. It's Opal Petticoat; isn't it really pretty?

And my mom's first knit project, a dishcloth:

Look at how even those stitches are.

9 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

I used to have snake plants (one of the few plants I couldn't kill) but I never knew they bloomed. How neat.

That Petticoat sure looks nice on those socks. Yumm, purple.

trish
www.randomthreads.com

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that at all about the plant, I love snake plants though, maybe some day mine will bloom.

Great socks, I love the petticoat stripes.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Cool plant, you must have a hidden green thumb :)

I love those socks, so delicate and pretty.

With that spiffy dishcloth, Mom's gonna be knitting her own socks soon!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

never knew they bloomed either! how interesting....ok, so long should one not repot it?hehe...

way to go, alison's mom!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love that Opal Petticoat. What number is that? I need to find it. Pretty! Cool about the flowering plant. My green thumb would have probably enduced it to flower too. I'm pretty bad when it comes to plants. My balcony in the summer is a different story. I love my tomatoes.
Alison's mom is good!! But then again, she's got a great teacher!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sock is pretty- I just love opal sock yarn- it always makes me feel all cheery and happy....

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, My mum has had that plant in a planter (the same one) for about 20 years, never seen a bloom.
I think you must be lucky!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congrats to your mom - that looks great! I do love how that Opal Petticoat is knitting up... hmmm.

I had no idea that those got flowers. I had a purple passion flower once - orange blossoms that spectacularly clashed with the purple fuzzy leaves.

10:01 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

My snake plants always break their pots before they can ever get crowded enough to bloom. That is a lovely one.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home