Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Pink and Purple Socks

I finished re-doing the foot of the first sock last night, so here is the finished pair. I absolutely love the self-patterning!

Specs: Cast on 72 stitches with size 0s using Trekking 144. No particular pattern. I did about an inch and a half ribbing and the rest stockinette. The heels and toes are Knitpicks Essential in black. They fit perfectly!

I started with the blues/mauves (the one on the right) last night while watching the Fellowship of the Ring yet again. I'm thinking that I might do a rib pattern with that. I started the cuff to do another plain old sock like I just finished. I really do like how it looks on the cuff, but I'm going to get past the ribbed cuff and see how it looks in plain stockinette. If I like it I might keep going. If not, I'll need to frog and cast on a few more stitches to do the rib.

I also got this yesterday. It's one of the skeins I ordered on my free day. It's the new Austermann Step with Aloe and Jojoba Oil. I thought Trekking was soft, but this stuff is even softer! I can't wait to see what it's like. I'm actually torn between making socks with it and gloves. My hands stay so dry in the winter that either gloves will win out, or I'll have to get some more later.

And lastly, check out Kimberly's

Basically, having just taken jogging back up, she's encouraging the rest of us to try and be more fit. This month marks two years since I started strength training. It really has made a difference in my everyday life; I can lift more things (kids and groceries) with ease. I use a couple of fun video games for my cardio - Dance, Dance Revolution and Yourself Fitness. And I'm trying to take a little yoga back up. I feel much better about myself when I am on a regular workout schedule, less aches and pains and more balanced emotions. I also feel better about how I look. (Plus, I know I'll have less health issues later which, seeing as how genetics are not on my side, is really important.)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the socks! I like the idea of the solid color for the toes and heels - I may give that a whirl. I just bought some Austermann Step this past weekend - I couldn't wait to cast on and am down to the gusset. It is soft - I'm interested to know how they will wear and if the oil and aloe vera will last through washings. I've taken up yoga for the past 6 months and I can't believe the relief in my neck and shoulder pains. It does help to keep moving! Dorothy
http://missouristar.typepad.com

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what I need, more encouragement to get fit! I'm going to get back in the habit one of these days - here's to sooner rather than later.

And the socks look fabulous. I'm glad the blue and mauve has made it to the needles so quickly.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

The socks turned out great!! I'm interested in getting your review of the Step yarn - what a fascinating idea... but does it leave oily spot on things?!

Thanks for the "I'm Fit" link - off to check it out.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Prachi said...

Ah, knitting and fitness. If I could knit while on the treadmill or the bike, I'd do more exercise! But I should, really.
Alison, those socks went so fast! They do look beautiful and I like the solid contrast. I am looking forward to seeing the blue ones, which I had picked earlier.
This aloe thing, it's on the yarn?

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are great! I really like the color and patterning too. I'm anxious to hear how you like the yarn with the soft stuff in it. It sounds wonderful, especially for gloves.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Rissa said...

Fit knitters is a nice idea. I am headed back to the swimming pool as soon as my job is over, which is officially less than two weeks. Woo hoo!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Wow! I love those socks!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Alison, those are some awesome socks! I really should try the afterthought type heel on one of my next pairs. I am such a lemming tho', my first plan is to follow the pattern exactly...

trish
www.randomthreads.com

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I love self-striping yarn. Great idea with the toe and heel. That yarn is intriquing with aloe in it. I'm curious to hear how it knits and feels.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute socks . . . enjoyed reading your blog too

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home