Friday, April 07, 2006

Not So Bright People

I try not to talk too much about people on my blog. If you can't say anything nice, you know. But there just have to be exceptions to the norm. Today's exception - a couple of motorcyclists. Not all of them, mind you, so don't go sending angry emails if you ride a motorcycle. I'm not talking about you. I think motorcyclists might be a bit crazy, but not stupid. I'm talking about just two of them that I've seen recently doing extremely stupid things. If you are going to get out in traffic with a vehicle that weighs a great deal less than everything else on the road, in theory it should make you a bit more careful. You know, take a few precautions. Like not talking on a cell phone. While your bike is in motion. Yes, I did see a guy on a cell phone while his motorcycle was in motion. And today's stupid motorcyclist? He wasn't talking on his phone; he was even wearing a helmet.

A bicycle helmet.

I kid you not, a bicycle helmet. There are days I worry about humanity's survival.

All right, I'm done with my rant. Now on to the obligatory knitting content:

The colors are little more accurate in the last post. It's a dreary day here, so the lighting wasn't great for pictures. As you can tell, I've now made it past to the heel. Charlene Schurch calls it a "forethought heel". It's basically worked like an afterthought heel except it involves a provisional cast on and it's worked before the foot. She explains it pretty well. I think I like it a little better than the short row heel, but my preference is still the heel flap. (I still haven't tried Debi's version of the short row heel, though I do plan to at some point.) I have a rather narrow heel in proportion to the rest of my wide, big feet, so that's probably why I prefer the flap. It cups the back of my foot better. Anyway, I do like how the colors go in circles around the heel for this particular sock.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, hopefully Darwinism takes care of some of the more blatant stupidity...

Heh, I'm part of the heel flap afficienados, too. But I really love the color and pattern in your sock.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

hehheh....odette gets very intrigue about passing harleys and big tricks....it's the vroom thing....

very interesting heel talk. i've only knitted heel flaps up until the current laburnum. it is interesting reading about why other sock knitters like one heel style over the other and why. thank you for sharing :)

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my husband would say, at least chances are those that stupid will do something to get themselves killed and they at least won't effect the gene pool anymore.

It does make one wonder.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

All well and good for the gene pool if the knucklehead does kill himself but more likely your tax dollars will be paying for his long term, brain dead care!

Shouldn't there be a law that if you act like a moron (hmmm, driving with HOT Micky D's coffee between one's legs comes to mind!) you get no recompense for your stupidity? Oops, with all the morons in the decision making positions, who could actually decide who's the bigger moron? :)

I love your sock, seeing it makes me want to give that heel a try!
And of course I love visiting a blog and seeing my name :)

Thanks for the shout out!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home