Monday, April 10, 2006

One Down and Free Day

One down, one to go.

I do wish I had made the leg just a little longer, but they are okay, I guess. Maybe I can stretch the top just a little the first time I wash them. (I don't block socks before the first wearing. Just too impatient, I guess.)

Though I occasionally make a sweater or a tank, my main obsessions are spinning, socks, and lace. All are fairly economical for the enjoyment you can get out of them. Spinning can take forever, then you can knit what spin. Laceweight yarn is sold in huge yardage hanks, so you can try out a much nicer yarn than you might use for an entire sweater. And you can get hours and hours of mind-numbing frustration enjoyment from just one hank. And socks. Well, socks are small and one or two skeins of a really nice yarn will make you a really nice pair of socks. Maybe they'll cost you $20 for one pair of socks, not to mention the time actually put into making them. But you'll never find better or more unique socks anywhere.

Though I am spinning a good bit, right now I'm definitely in sock mode. I have chronically cold feet so I wear socks inside even in summer and I just don't have enough handmade ones. That brings me to my free day. Apparently, yesterday was my free day for April for Rebekah's yarn focus challenge. I was hoping to carry the day over to May just in case I make it to both days of MD S&W, but it's not to be. I mean, how much self control am I expected to have when my husband (who KNOWS how much stash I already have) tells me that I should buy some yarn as a reward to myself for doing such a good job on the house this weekend. (I am a horrible housekeeper, so this was a really great compliment.) He told me to buy yarn. What can I say? I'm weak. (But still in the running.) I bought more sock yarn. (Remember I already have three balls of Trekking coming, so when I get that and what I just ordered I'll have enough for at least six pairs. We won't mention how many I could make from stash yarn.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I just read your comment on Wendy's blog and I was coming here to yell at you! But since you used your *day* and the hubster gave you the go ahead, how could any knitter resist?

You know its funny...i want to knit some socks for a fluffy friend and with all the sock yarn I have, I can't choose ONE to knit for her!

If I don't use my April day, you can have it for the extra day for MDS&W, just buy the stuff that day for me :)

8:40 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

The purple stripey sock looks great!!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love the purply sock, so very pretty.

What a good husband you have!

12:21 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your purple sock is so pretty! And for all that un-fun housecleaning, you definitely deserve more sock yarn! ;-) I couldn't agree with you more about the mileage you get with socks and lace projects. I tend to gravitate towards those projects more, too. Especially living in a temperate climate, socks and lace just make sense. ;-) Looking forward to seeing your new sock yarn! Take care, Alison! :-)

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sock and the colors! Pretty.
You are brave to join the yarn focus. I have no will power, so I won't be joining.
I agree with you, I prefer socks and lace projects the most, and spinning for them is so much fun! I don't know how I ever talk myself into knitting sweaters, but I always regret it.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you-spinning, lace and socks-they are my favorites right now too. Anything inexpensive is a good thing.
I need a husband like yours. :o)

1:44 AM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Beautiful sock, both the pattern and colors.. whoot! I bet it was fun to knit up. So, we are both doing trekkers? yea yea!

2:05 AM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

too funny! :)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home