Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Almost Finished Socks

Here are the almost finished socks:

They do look finished, don't they? But check out the heels.

Notice how the one on the right is a little more bulky than the other one? The instructions for the forethought/afterthought heel said to decrease every other row until you have a certain number of stitches, but that didn't work out for my heel. Way too much bulkiness, so on the second heel, I decreased every other row for a bit, then I decreased every row. It made for a less bulky heel. I'll be doing that to the other heel, but it shouldn't take long at all. I think I'm still more of a heel-flap person, but I can now say I've tried a couple of different heels. That's the only change I made in the pattern. The pattern (which you can see in close-up here) is the Chevron pattern on page 73 of Sensational Knitted Socks. The yarn is Trekking and I used size 0 needles. I only wish I had made the leg just a little longer, but I do love the socks. Trekking yarn is wonderful!

Speaking of Trekking, the pink and purple (the middle skein) got the most "votes", which being the pink and purple person I am I was leaning toward anyway, so I'll cast on for a simple stockinette pattern with that today. (I'd better cast on before I get my other yarn to confuse things more!)

I'm making a little progress on the Moon Dance Stole, but it's so slow that there's no point in pictures until I get just a little more done. Thanks for all the votes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Prachi said...

They look lovely, Alison! I am a sucker for this colourway and looks like you like it a lot too.
Is the trekking one skein only? How do you decide where exactly to stop with one sock? I'm forever paranoid that I won't have enough left for the second one.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love the close up of the chevron pattern - really gorgeous. I just made a note to myself about it, in fact. :)

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I love them! I really need to knit a pair of socks, I'm having withdrawals. Of course, maybe I should just finish a pair of some I already have started. That's a novel thought.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great. I'm disappointed that the color I voted for didn't win, but I can live with that. After all, it's not like I'm knitting the things. :)

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the purple. I think I'm a heel flap girl myself too. My motto is you can't say you don't really like something until you've tried it, right?

1:41 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

The "alison" heel is a good fit tho! Anf that trekking is gorgeous! It's didn't grab me on the website but it does now (of course, when I can't buy yarn, d'oh!) The pattern is spectacular too!!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Alison, thanks for the tip on the heel! I will try that with my second sock. I've never tried the Trekking yet, but I love yours!

Take care!

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home