Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Why didn't anyone tell me?

Okay, why didn't anyone tell me how seriously cool self-patterning yarn was? Sure I've seen the stuff and I've thought, well, that's sort of neat but I think I'll make this hideously complicated Fair-Isle pattern instead. This is my first foray into the world of self-striping/self-patterning sock yarn and I am seriously hooked. Look how cool this is.

And how fast it works up. I just cast on yesterday and I'm just doing plain old stockinette on size 0s! It doesn't get any easier! Wow! I am now a believer. I confess to being completely in love with self-striping yarn. I knew there had to be a reason it was so popular! Good thing I have the blue/mauve stripes and more coming that I bought on my free day. Else, I'd be in serious danger of having to order more.

By the way, be very careful with metal DPNS. I just stabbed myself with mine. I was reaching down for my sock and one was sticking up and I scraped my palm pretty good. Drew blood and everything. (For those of you concerned for the sock, no, no blood got on the sock and those concerned for me, why yes, I had my regular tetanus booster last year. In no way was it related to knitting.)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get back to work. -- R.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Love you, too, dear hubby :)

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly! I started out making wrist warmers with the self patterning yarn and they ended up arm warmers because I loved watching the stripes change colors like magic!!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get back to work? Men! :)
Anyway, I just adore self-striping yarn myself (more in common). Thank goodness it's in abundance here in Berlin, I don't have to worry about not being able to buy it. Doesn't it just make you want to knit a little more to see how the stripes are going to turn out. Love it!
Oh gosh, I could have been the one poking holes in my hand-that's such a Kim move.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying to keep you from finding out about self patterning yarn for fear that once you found out, Madli would never again get another stitch knit on her... assuming she gets put back on the needles at some point.

I'm a major fan of Trekking, though, I'm not a self patterning person myself and stick to the striping ones. They are wicked fun. All you need is some stockinette sometimes.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Self-patterning yarn is great! Congratulations on your discovery. :) Having two small children, it's just about all I knit with these days. I get lots and lots of knitting done while I'm not even paying attention to my hands because the fancy dye job on the yarn does all the work.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

i am also a newbie to self-patterning yarn. the color changes keep it interesting. it even excites people watching! i was knitting my sock at lunch one day and my co-workers exclaimed, "oooh, look! another color!"

btw, it's funny you needed to clarify that no blood got on the sock before you mentioned you were OK!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I like that colorway - share some info about the yarn? :)

Glad to hear that no blood got on the yarn and that you're current with the tetanus booster. But ouch!

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always have at least one self-patterning sock on the needles. That's my waiting room/nervous/travel/academic conference knitting. Its so satisfying and fun and cool, and so many different color combinations.

My favorite self-patterning yarn is the Mellenweit brand- the yarn seems softer then Opal or Regia (although Regia wears like iron) and they have bright and cheery colors.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Liz M. said...

I know what you mean! I ordered some from Knit Picks and I love their colors and the feel of the yarn! 100% merinio ya know...

8:30 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

It's looking great! I used self striping when I took a sock class 3 years ago & had fun with it - must finish the 2nd sock & begin the sock addiction. :)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Prachi said...

Doesn't the number of stitches affect the fair isle pattern, though? Yours looks perfect, and I'm wondering if they specify the gauge for you to follow.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

As many socks as you knit I cannot believe this is your first foray into Self-Striping. It's loads of fun for those times when you need a no brainer!

Really pretty colorway, what is it?

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home