Friday, April 28, 2006

"Make me a Pair of Socks" and Project Spectrum

I apologize in advance for the rant which you are about to read. I take my kids to Tae Kwon Do twice a week. And most sessions there is this woman there. I always take my knitting with me because what else am I going to do? And most of the time, I'm knitting socks. Well, this woman always asks me when I'm making her a pair of socks. Always. And she's serious. She seriously wants me to make her a pair of socks. This woman whom I talk to (but am not great friends with) wants me to make her a pair of socks. Every pair I make, she asks me where is her pair. It's really beginning to annoy me because I know she's never going to get a pair and I've tried politely telling her that she's never going to get a pair. I haven't even made my own mother a pair of socks yet. (Although I hope to change that soon.) I mean, yes, I knit fast, so maybe she doesn't realize the work that goes into them. But to tell someone that they need to make them socks? I have repeatedly offered to teach her to knit and she has repeatedly refused the offer saying she can't do it. Or that she doesn't have the time. Yet, she expects me to do it for her as if my time is worth less than hers because I manage to find some time to enjoy a craft. *Sigh*

Since orange and yellow aren't really my colors, I've pretty much ignored this month for Project Spectrum, but I really wanted to post pictures of this children's toy before the month was out. Not only do we have the child-sized version, but also a miniature one. (I should have put a ruler in the picture. It's only about 6 inches tall.) Doesn't it just fit this month perfectly?

In I'm Fit and I Knit news, I did actually try to work out this morning, but it's really hard to lift weights when you may have mildly sprained your wrist and ankle. Don't ask, just know that I am a horrible klutz and it doesn't hurt when I knit, just when trying to lift something heavy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Prachi said...

Yikes, don't lift any weights if your wrists are hurting!
And keep your needles away from this annoying woman, lest you angrily stab her sometime, which she seems to deserve! I once had an acquaintance say to me that he would "allow me to inflict one of my creations on him!" The nerve of the pompous ass. He wasn't joking, either. Problem is it's not worth venting too much spleen on these people either; they just remain low-level irritants who won't go away.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick, sorry about your wrist and ankle. That sucks. But trust me, I know how you feel, I'm a huge klutz myself.
That lady bugs me and I don't even know her. How bout you tell her you'll make her a pair of socks for some ungodly amount of money, that way she'll just leave you alone about it. And if she agrees, then woohoo for you. Buy more sock yarn. ;)
Sheesh. That's annoying.

I've missed a few posts here. You're making some good stuff!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good grief, that's ridiculous. I'm not sure what I'd say to her, that's just bizarre.

Hope your wrist feels better soon.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Tell this PIA that you'll "waive your usual fee" to TEACH her as it's always nice to share your skill with a "friend". If she persists tell her that a pair of socks have as many stitches as a sweater only smaller and they take about 40 hours to complete SO she can pay you a weeks salary (40 hours)and you'll gladly whip her up a pair :)

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, klutz is my middle name. I hope that writst is feeling better soon.
As for the lady with the sock problem. I hear that all the time. I think it's funny how they seem to think our free time should be spent working on something for them. I like Deb's idea to bill her for 40 hours.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is impossible to change people, so we change ourselves, stay in the car from now on. knit to your hearts content, without such behaviour next to you. Tell your kids you are waiting in the car, you can listen to your fav. music and be in peace..

11:04 AM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

some people just doesn't get it no matter what. she's so dense.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I wouldn't bother being subtle or gentle with her - I would just tell her that you only knit for yourself or your family and you'd appreciate it if she didn't keep asking. :)

I'm infamously blunt, how did you guess?!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Tell her you'll put her in the queue - you're much sought after and she'll have to wait her (non-existant) turn.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I am so glad I haven't had that problem before. I think it might drive me to a new Tae Kwon Do class, even! I like the ideas put forward, especially how much she'll be charged. Maybe you should say you make them for sale, and you'll give her a discount for only $50 or whatever! Or you can say you only knit for charity, and she makes too much or something else. What a pain!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home