Monday, May 22, 2006

Process knitting

As Margene says, it's the process. I think that's why I've been doing so many socks lately. I love lace and I've been working on it a little. And I know at some some point lace will once again become my obsession, but right now I'm really enjoying socks. Nothing fancy, just plain old stockinette socks. This self-striping yarn is just fascinating, the way it stripes and I keep going just to see what it's going to do next. Round and round of nothing but knitting – very few purls, no yarn overs, no cables. It's so quick that even if it's about the process, I also feel like I'm making a lot of progress. I mean, I just started this pair last Friday night and look where I am already. Having just joined Summer of Socks and the Trek-along I'll probably be socked out by June.

And while on the subject of socks: Why should you always knit socks with 5 dpns instead of 4? Because in the unlikely (or likely depending on the person) event that you should lose (or forget back home) one of your needles, you can slip one needle's stitches to another needle and work on 4 needles until you find your needle (or get back home where you left the working needle laying on the desk). Gee, you'd think that had happened to me recently or something.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason I can't stay focused on socks lately. You are just churning them out, wow! They're all so pretty. And I must say my jaw fell open when I saw your silk "thread" you're spinning.
Amazing.

My solution to losing dpns is to not use them. For the life of me, I can't get them to behave for me, so I am a circular needle convert. Props to you for having that special ability!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL-
I used to lose my 5th dpn while I would knit during lectures. It happened so often that the other students would just chuckle and inevitably, someone would find the needle and pass it back to me.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Beautiful Sock Alison!

Have you tried magic loop yet? I like it almost as much as my DPNs and I love being able to use my addi's. 2 circs? feh!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, I'm in a bit of a sock mode myself.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Totally in the sock mode here, too. What yarn is that?! It's very cool.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but the real question is what happens when you first lose the fifth needle and then the fourth, too. Not that this has happened to me recently or anything :)! I'm stuck knitting on metals now, until I can go buy another bamboo set of 0s.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Those are great colors-I wish my LYS had had that colorway! I ended up with the Sockotta. And I am definitely looking up that Opal-beautiful!

7:24 PM  
Blogger LadyV said...

I want to be in a sock mood but I can't until I finish my mittens...Decided I'd alternate between mittens and socks.

As for five needles instead of four, I prefer to knit "around" the square instead of the triangle :-)

Love your colour choices.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

There's something very soothing about stockinette socks!

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home