Friday, September 01, 2006

Vacation

Hello all! I missed WIP Wednesday because I was on the beach. Lots of sun (with SPF 50, of course) and lots of fun. At least before Ernesto started making the weather really crappy and we decided to come home a couple of days early. So, you'll have to wait until next week to see progress on Icarus. (Besides, it's really cloudy and rainy right now, so I doubt I'd get a decent picture anyway.) Until then, I can give you a couple of pictures taken in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

This is the Bodie lighthouse. Unfortunately, you can't go up in it, unsafe conditions and all that.

We also got to go to the Wright Brothers museum in Kitty Hawk, but somehow missed getting any photos. We listened to a talk on the Wright brothers and flight which was really interesting except for the fact that the speaker was a complete chauvinist. He conjectured that the brothers were such geniuses because they never married. 'Scuse me? If he had looked over at me at that particular point, he would have gotten a pretty nasty look. I can name many so-called geniuses who were in fact married. He also said a few other somewhat chauvinistic things. But I digress... We also missed getting pictures of all the cool horse statues around the island (they were really cool - painted patchwork, some had wings, etc, but I just never had my camera with me) and most of the pictures of the beach have me in them and I'm just not brave enough to put a picture of myself in a bathing suit up for all the world to see. We did get pictures at the aquarium. Including these guys:

They look hungry, don't they?

Sorry for the lame post. I'll be making my blog rounds this weekend. Enjoy your weekend and I hope Ernesto doesn't ruin anyone's weekend too much!

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That's a very cool lighthouse.

Hmm, I'm not sure I could've kept quiet after that Wright Bros comment...

Sorry your vacation was cut short! Have a good weekend anyway.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alison,

You CAN go up in the Hatteras lighthouse. I've done it, before and after it was moved, and it was great fun!

Hope to see you in a week at Guild.

Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work there.

Jan

1:56 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip despite the weather. Have a great weekend.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Tonni said...

He must not have wanted to take your tour group up because it wasn't all male :) I WOULD NOT have kept my mouth shut!

9:01 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

great photos! i can't believe what that idiot said! sorry about the rain, i'm glad ernesto left here early. and thanks for the lace compliment :-)

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh by no means a lame post. Welcome back. Your snowman vest from the last post is just sooo pretty. I'm really going to try to do a WIP Wednesday.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You came to North Carolina and didn't even alert me???? I knew I had sensed a change in the knitting Force....

Ernesto blew. Literally. Tree bits everywhere and all that rain!!!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home