Friday, September 15, 2006

(As usual you can click on the picts for a larger view.)
On the blocking board:

Being modeled:

And the close-up:

The specs:
Pattern: Icarus Shawl from Summer 2006 Interweave Knits by the wonderfully talented Miriam Felton
Needles: Size 3
Yarn: Alpaca Silk from Webs; it's a cabled yarn and I had to uncable it to get the yarn I wanted, but man worth the work.
Modifications: I added a beaded row per Mim's instructions. My beads were 6 mm white glass pearls.

It was worth every bit of the effort to uncable the yarn and do the knitting. I fell in love with this shawl the second I saw it in IK, simple and elegant, but didn't have a yarn for it. Then I got my Webs order and knew the pink was for my Icarus. I absolutely love the beaded row and I'm so glad that I did delay working on the shawl long enough to find out about it because it absolutely does make the shawl. The pictures, as usual, just don't do the shawl justice. I love it, in case you can't tell.

(Blogger seems to be having some problems and I accidently deleted the post while trying to edit something and therefore deleted at least one comment inadvertently before I even read it:( I'm not happy with Blogger right now.)

23 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Wow. This is so $@&#*$&@( beautiful I'm reduced to expletives. Great job.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! I knew it would be in pink with beads-love it!!! I don't really blame you for drooling all over!

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe how very beautiful this shawl is, it's stunning! You did a fantastic job with it - and I so love the color too! Perfect!

4:41 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

It's just beautiful Alison! The beads are the pefect touch!

4:55 AM  
Blogger NeedleTart said...

Marvelous! I'm so glad Mim linked to you!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's beautiful! I'm so glad you made this first, because I never would have thought to uncable the yarn, but that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Wonderful job, it's incredible!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's stunning, Alison. I loved seeing it on the blocking board: perfectly placed and pinned! And the shadow of the photographer in the second one is great.

I'm not sure what you meant by "uncabling" the yarn?

3:06 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It is SO beautiful!! I hope you're very proud and deeply content. :)

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, you've finished it, it's gourgous, and the beadrow did the shawl even more beautiful.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!
I'm dying to knit one too but have to finish up some other lace projects already on the needles.
Gorgeous!

5:31 PM  
Blogger nat said...

That is gorgeous. I love the color you picked, too. It should be called "gorgeous" instead. :)

11:08 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I've been dithering back and forth about my next lace project, but I think you just decided for me! And I have some pink yarn in my stash that was destined for something else, but . . . Your Icarus is gorgeous!

12:04 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh how gorgeous, Ali! The beads look lovely on them. I bet you feel just great now!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so drool-worthy. Its just gorgeous.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for showing it off in progress, and looking forward to seeing the final product!

Ack, need to knit more, to get my mobius scarves done for the meeting!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

stunning!

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Icarus is breathtaking!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Gorgeous! I love the addition of the beads.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnifique!

7:55 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

wow! icarus is stunning!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

It's been a while since I visited, so I haven't seen your finished Icarus until just now. It is stunning!!! You did a wonderful job!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I know I'm a bit behind the times, but your Icarus shawl is really beautiful. You've just added another project to my wish list.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

What a beautiful shawl. I've been in kind of a rut with my shawl. I started it way back in May 2006 and have only gotten as far as about row 32. You've certainly inspired me to pick up those needles again!!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home