Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Obsessive Compulsiveness

Less than 24 hours after having received my TKGA packet that perhaps someone with obsessive compulsive issues in their knitting shouldn't sign up for something like Masters Knitting. It may make me even more obsessive about my knitting, something I didn't think was possible.

Perhaps, you've forgotten just how obsessive I can be, so take a look at the socks I just finished.

Okay, the picture's a little blurry, but see how perfectly they match, even the heels and toes? See that little ball of thread on the left? That's how much yarn I had to wind off to make them match that perfectly.

And yet, until now, there are things I've let slide in my knitting. I've never been very happy with my cast-ons, but I've ignored that. At last week's guild meeting though, someone mentioned something about a purl cast-on. You know, so that you'd be ready to do a knit row? Or for ribbing? Well, I was planning on looking it up, but last night my internet access was down, but I was determined to figure it out. I played around for quite a while, playing with it. I tried drawing it on paper to see if I could figure it out backwards. I tried manipulating my thumb every which way. I got frustrated and threw it down for a little while. When I sat back down, the light bulb went off. What if I put the needle up through the yarn over the index finger instead of the thumb, then yarn over?

Score! So, I worked on that cast-on for a while, switching between that and the normal long-tail cast-on to create a ribbed cast-on.

And that brings me to another thing. My ribbing has always been a bit uneven. Doesn't really show up on socks since they're stretched out so much and it's a smaller thread. But it's glaring on a worsted-weight.

See how the left stitch of the two knit stitches is a bit bigger? Ugh, I figure it has something to do with continental knitting, but I have to figure out a way to make them more even. Maybe I'll practice throwing for a bit for ribbing. It would also probably benefit my Fair Isle as I use the right hand for one of the strands. And if I make it to Level II, there is a bit of Fair Isle required.

This program will either make me a better, more careful knitter, or a more obsessive one.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jan from guild said...

I know why that left-hand knit stitch is bigger. It is because of the transition from knit to purl takes more yarn, therefore letting that stitch relax.

I throw, and I now work ribbing with combined, where I wrap the purl the wrong way which twists it, then knit through the back to untwist it next row.

Looks a bit better ....

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

YOu know I'm not and I am obsessive. But the one thing I wish I was more obsessive about was my knitting techniques. But I just can't get there. Maybe I'm obsessive about not being obsessive.

Love love love Delphine. And I'm blown away about the exactness of your socks.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous ariadnesthread said...

Very cool that you figured out the purl cast-on yourself (I was the one who talked about it). The key is finding the way that doesn't twist the stitch.

Jan's right--the knit-to-purl transition requires careful attention to tension.

I keep meaning to tell you that yes, I am interested in doing the Master's program, and I plan to order the materials one of these days.

I came here from Ravelry and noticed you haven't updated your profile to include Sammy-dog!!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

i'm amazed at how perfectly identical those socks match.

can't wait to see where this TKGA course take you!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home