Monday, March 23, 2009

Personal Sock Club

Note to self: don't have eyes dilated on bright sunny day. Two pairs of sunglasses stacked on top of one another only help slightly.

I've seen the "personal sock clubs" floating around on blogs for a few months now. Honestly, I don't know where they started, but they are a brilliant idea. The basic premise is you pick yarn from your stash, a pattern, throw it into a paper bag. You do several of these and pick them out at random at your own interval. I mean, chances are since you already own the yarn, you'll be happy with it, but there's still an element of surprise. (Really, who remembers every single skein of yarn they own?) So anyway, I started out by dumping some of my yarn and digging out my sock books.

By the way, this is nowhere near my whole stash. This isn't all of what I made into little bags. I went through my sock books, found patterns I liked, wrote down which book and page number on index cards, found yarn I liked to go with the patterns and threw them all into little paper lunch bags. I ended up with probably about a dozen to begin with and I chose one last night and somehow ended up with probably my favorite pattern, Longbourn Socks (if you're on Ravelry) by the super talented Kristi Schueler.

I didn't even stack the deck, uh, bags; I honestly chose this one at random and I'm extremely happy with it. I'll start it just as soon as I can see properly again.

It did make me realize exactly how much pink and purple I have in the way of sock yarn. I never knew there were so many shades and variations of those two colors ;-)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the idea on the Stash Knit Down 2009 group on Rav - I love it, it's made sock clubs fun again! (for me, anyway, heh)

Those colors will look very pretty together in the Longbourn socks - can't wait to see your progress!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is a great idea!

I completely sympathize about the eyes - it was horrifically sunny the last time mine were done and I had to sit with my eyes closed for 45 minutes at the clinic until I could see enough to drive safely.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree its, a great idea! And fun and economical in these times.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

So now you see why I hate to leave the house. It's eternally sunny to a level beyond tolerable here. :P

i'm way behind on the sock club thing. i think i'm going to rescind the deadline of a pair a month. i'll just pull a bag out whenever i finish a pair. deadlines, schmeadlines.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home