Thursday, January 08, 2009

Woven scarf sample

I don't know why it's impossible to get an accurate representation of purples, but it is and seeing as how purple is probable the color I use most, it gives me no end of grief taking a dozen pictures, then trying to correct the color in Photoshop. Sometimes, it just can't be done, especially when it's next to other colors. So pretend that the purple in the following picture is actually the color in this shawl, because it is. It is not a blue-ish purple; it is a royal purple.

This is a sample I did from the lovely alpaca silks from Webs I have in my stash. I started this sample just to see how the colors played together. I decided as I was working that I loved it and needed a scarf just like it. But I wasn't sure I had enough of that amethyst. I have plenty of the pink, dahlia and eggplant, but the amethyst. And Webs has discontinued that particular color. AAAARGH! But you know, when I cut the sample off and brought it upstairs, I realized something. As much as I like the purple, I think I might like the other three colors together by themselves:

(It is much prettier in person.) It's just a simple twill pattern and I think 6 blocks across (2 patterns) will work up beautifully. It will take me a while on the warping board for this one. Now if I had a few more hours in the day...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I love the three colors by themselves sample!!

I know what you mean about purple - I think it has something to do with the red in it, because I tend to have trouble with reds and pinks, too.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the scarf- it will be just lovely with the three colors-- and wow you have really taken off on the weaving haven't you?

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how the eggplant looks brown in the larger picture, and its proper purple-black in the smaller!

vtcjan at yahoo dot com

7:37 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The three colors by themselves look great! Nice weaving too!

Playing with the white balance settings on your camera (not in auto mode) can help with purples I've found. Sometimes, even though I have incandescent lights on, the fluorescent light setting works better for purples.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

if it's prettier in person it must stop people dead in their tracks! because that's really gorgeous. :)

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really pretty colors, and the weave looks nice. It'll look great.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home