Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lovely Unicorn

While kung fu movies don't seem to be conducive for lace knitting (see this post), The Lord of the Rings trilogy seems to be quite productive. I rewatched all three of the extended movies over the past three nights, staying up much later than I really should have. And while watching, I worked on my Magickal Earth. LOTR and ME seemed to fit very well together as I'm now a mere 2-1/2 rounds from finishing the unicorn chart.

So next up is the Celtic knot and directions charts.

I decided to actually do a sample before jumping right in to weaving my sock yarn scarf.

I'm not sure I like it. I was actually going for a more warp-faced fabric (the up and down threads), but the pink weft seems to be the most prominent. The warp actually does have more purple along with the greys, but it just happened to be mostly grey where I was working. I might try setting the e.p.i. (ends per inch) just a wee bit closer and just go for it. I think it will be nice anyway, just maybe not exactly what I was going for. But I'm new at this; experimentation is good.

Speaking of experimenting, I do have a new sample going on the warp today. I might chronicle the process for a later entry.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That unicorn is SO cool!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the purple in the warp!

If you want it more warp-faced, should it be a twill weave? Or does that give even MORE weft-faced?

Clearly I'm not a weaver!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The LoTR trilogy is one of my go-to sets of movies when I want to get some major knitting or spinning done, glad to hear they work as magically for someone else! ;o) Love the unicorn!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

the unicorn is gorgeous! and that sample looks great. i see the purple!

i need to complete my LoTR trilogy with the first two movies. they're on my wishlist. only my friends always neglect my wishlists, so maybe i'll just treat myself. ;-)

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, cool!

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home