Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pretty Yarn

A little birthday yarn that came yesterday:

It's tencel from Webs in colors "Jewel" and "Blue Ming"; I also have some black that's on backorder. I hope to weave some scarves with the three colors somehow used together. I'd love to find a bright pink to match the pink in "Jewel", too, maybe a purple (the yarn is actually pretty equal amounts of turquoise, pink, black, and purple; it just seems to be picking up a bit more of the blue from the other yarn). I might even have to use some of the "Jewel" for a shawl (there are 3,300 yards of the stuff). I like tencel; it's shiny. I like shiny.

I also got some cotton in burgundy, elm green and natural for some holiday towels. I had warped enough for 6 sampler towels already and have only done four, so maybe I'll do a couple of Christmas towels before moving on. Since I want to make the Christmas towels using the same threading and treadlings, I may be able to "tie on" a new warp to have enough for more towels. As I understand it, instead of having to thread the dent and heddles all over, you basically tie each new warp thread to an old one. This sounds time consuming until you realize that you can slide the knotted threads through the heddles and dents instead of having to rethread from scratch. Someday soon, I'll try and explain how a loom is warped for anyone interested and maybe some of this will actually make sense. For now, realize that warping is the most time intensive part of the whole weaving process and long warps are good. Unless, of course, you are like me and like lots of different projects going on at once. I really want to play with my new tencel, but I know I should do a few more towels and work on keeping those edges even first.

To all those in the US, Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

That really is pretty yarn. And it's shiny. And it's purple.

Although I've tried to knit with 100% Tencel before and I just couldn't hack it. For some reason it hurt my hands. I bet it's lovely to weave with. :)

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy colors. Happy day. Enjoy!

Tencel would make a superb weaving yarn.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, those will be lovely with black! Have a great day tomorrow!

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty, that will look lovely in a scarf, with either black or pink.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

I like shiny Tencel, too! I look forward to seeing the scarves :)

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home