Friday, November 07, 2008

My First Weaving!

My first weaving is off the loom. I was a bit worried that I had threaded the loom wrong because my sampler wasn't matching the one in the pattern's picture, but when it came off the loom, I realized that the picture was of the backside. The sampler is about 31 inches long and 12 inches wide, but I couldn't get a good shot of the whole thing. Here's a bit of it though:


Close-up:

The selvedges aren't exactly even, but the ppi isn't horrible in most places. There are a few places where I caught a thread I wasn't supposed to while weaving, but overall, I'm pretty happy with my first piece. I was also pretty surprised at how fast it went, and I'm a beginner!

The sampler is done with a warp of dark pink on either side and light pink in the middle with blue dividers and edges and for the weft. I finished the sampler and had just a wee bit of warp left to play with, so I for the weft I used some of the dark pink, light pink and blue and came up with this:

The picture is sideways as the warp is going horizontal and the weft vertical. I like it a lot and I may just have to order more of the dark pink to make a scarf from it. Or maybe order all the colors in a smaller weight. Not sure yet, but I know I really like it. I also know I'm not ordering any more yarn for a while yet, so I'd better think it over while I get started on my next project, sampler towels. I'll work on evening out the selvedges and the beat.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Looks pretty darn good to me!!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Is it that the picture is or the backside or did you read the heddle threading backwards? Some are written to be read rightside up and some upside down.
It looks great. I've been trying to figure out a pattern like this for my next class project.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

It's gorgeous! I love the colors!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Very cool!

6:24 PM  
Blogger knitogether said...

I recently acquired a used LeClerc floor jack-style four-harness loom, and now I'm frozen in intimidation! Your first effort is impressive and motivating.

Do you plan to block this piece? If so, will that even out the selvedges? (Ignorance showing here.)

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home