Sunday, September 07, 2008

The Hex is Finished!

Okay, it needs a light blocking, but I couldn't wait to show if off:

(I'lI post more picts once it's all nicely blocked). I love, love, love this coat. I think it might carry me through a lot of the winter as well as the fall because it is quite warm. I probably should have made it in a neutral color, but then, a good bit of my winter wardrobe is neutral, so color is probably a good thing. I might put about three buttons on the hexagons right at the chest/stomach area. I think it would look nice.

The Specs:
Pattern: Hex Coat from Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature (She is just wonderful, isn't she? This is my third completed NG and there may be a few more of her designs in my Ravelry queue which should tell you how much I love her patterns.) The only modification I made was under the arm where I added a gore (a diamond shaped extra piece into the seams). I always have trouble with fitting around the upper arm/shoulder. Even shirts that fit me perfectly otherwise are usually tight at the armhole, so I decided to add a little extra room there.
Needles: Size 6 and size 8
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Amethyst Heather, I can't honestly tell you how many balls it took because somewhere over the course of two years off and on, I lost track. I think I originally ordered something like 20 balls (at least that's how many I count in this picture and I can currently find 6 extra balls. But I can't promise that I showed all the yarn when I originally bought it and I can't promise that there aren't more Amethyst Heather skeins around here somewhere.

Okay, now that this albatross is finished, I am glad I persevered. All that horrible moss stitch, but now I have a beautiful coat to show for it! Now back to my Magickal Earth shawl!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks really great! I like also the colour!
Mary in Austria

3:42 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

What a triumphant piece of work! It's absolutely gorgeous and it looks so wonderful on you! Be proud. Be very proud. :-)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

That looks like it's going to be really great. I hope you'll give us some model shots when you get it blocked!
Love the color of course!

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks fabulous! Can't wait to see the finished shawl.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

It's a classic, it looks fabulous on you and you did an amazing job! Trifecta perfection! :)

5:08 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Stunning!!! Ah, moss stitch - so lovely, so stable, so maddening...

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful. And I think the color is perfect, in the drab part of winter you'll be glad to have a little spice.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get OUT of here with that! It's FABULOUS!

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The the Hex! The pattern book you got that from is awesome...was thinking about buying it today.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, pretty.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home