Sunday, December 07, 2008

Surgery!

Friday night as I was knitting while watching a movie, I discovered a mistake about 3 rows down on the Magickal Earth. Me and my darned perfectionism streak, because it was a mistake NO ONE would have ever figured out (even my fellow lace friends with a magnifying glass). No one but me, of course. I would have seen it every darn time I looked at it. Perfectionist that I am, even I was not willing to tink 2-3 rounds, each being 500-600 stitches. Hence the surgery:

Let me just say surgery on knitting is not advisable during a Jackie Chan movie. Yes, I was silly enough to attempt it and I might have had to drop down a couple rows more than originally intended. I got smart and decided to watch the kung fu movie sans knitting. I got up refreshed Saturday morning.

Above is actually a special stitch section. It's not just straightforward yarnovers and knit 2 togethers. On one row, you yarn over, on the next row, you slip the yarnover from the previous round while making a yarnover over the first one. The next row, you knit them together. This stitch is a giant hairy pain in the bum to figure out when trying to fix without tinking. After a couple of attempts, I finally figured it out and thought I was done. Then I discovered a stitch that was supposed to remain on the circs had dropped down. ARGH! Had to do more surgery, but I FINALLY got it all fixed and perfected and later was able to fix another mistake very quickly. So now I'm on row 40 of sixty on the unicorn chart and moving right along. I like that the rounds are getting less and less. (I may have mentioned that a few times already.)

Weaving is also moving along. I hope to have my towels finished in the next couple of days. I don't think I'm going to tie another warp on for more towels right now. I need variety, so I'll probably make a scarf or two (with some of my wonderful sock yarn stash), then we'll see how I feel about making more towels. Pictures of the towels later in the week.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

So brave! *shudders*

Which Jackie Chan movie? I used to watch lots of kung fu movies...

10:52 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

You know, this happens to me more often than I care to admit. So I try to do surgery and figure out that I spend more time doing it than it would have taken to tink the darn thing in the first place. Which I usually end up doing anyway. Lifelines?? We don't need no stinking lifelines!!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I have so been there! And the more often I do it, the more often I get to be surprised at how quickly it works back together the way it's supposed to. Practice, whether I want to or not, helps with the perfection.

Then there are the times there's just no way and you know it, but never mind.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed! Personally I go with the theory that every piece of knitting must have 1, 2, or even 3 mistakes in it. Otherwise I'd have to quit knitting, but a perfectionist I am not. But you will be very happy you fixed it, and it'll look beautiful no doubt.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home