Sunday, May 04, 2008

MD!

Yes, I do realize what a blog slacker I've been lately! Since I haven't been knitting a whole lot, I haven't had a whole lot to blog about, but yesterday was my annual trek to Maryland.

My friend and I got there a bit later than last year and had to wait a bit before getting parked. We had made plans to meet up with Opal (who was there all the way from Hawaii!) at the Golding booth right at nine. We've been blogging and emailing for a couple of years now, so I was very excited to finally meet her. Anyway, since we were later than expected, Opal had a chance to look over Golding's stock and she may have made an acquisition. (All my fault, of course, because we were late :-)

Anyway, we finally met up and Opal is just as cool as I thought she would be. I'm so glad we finally got to meet and she spent the morning wandering around the main building with us. I had not intended to buy much, having looked over my stash thoroughly before the festival and making sure that I had tons of stuff that hasn't yet been spun or knit. But as I've always heard, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Wandering around with Opal and Melissa is not good on the budget; of course, I returned the enabling favor :-)

My first purchase was my yearly Golding (click any picts for a close-up!):

How absolutely beautiful is that one?! I haven't yet taken it out for a test spin. I'm trying to decide what I want to spin. It's one of the 1.6 oz ones, so not so good for spinning fine silk like I usually do with the minis. Maybe I'll spin the Wensleydale (see below) into a fingering weight for a scarf.

I also got some lovely tencel laceweight from Just Our Yarn.

I'm not usually much of a blue person, but this beautiful bright blue called to me. And the other one, well, it is purple. Funnily enough though, once I got the purple one home and started looking at it closely, I realized something. It is very similar to the colorway that I did my Swallowtail in, only since it was cashmere it was much more muted and subtle. There is a little more blue in this one as well.

At Spirit Trail Fiberworks, I bought this lovely pink laceweight after realizing as much as I like pink, I only have two pink shawls:


I also got some lovely variegated purple Wensleydale fiber, only as usual I couldn't get the purple to photograph well (I'll keep trying). I also got some lovely variegated silk - one is pinks, blacks, purples, and turquoise and one is without the turquoise.

I got a book on graphed medieval patterns to use in just about any needlework as well as medieval mini purse patterns. I got some more hairsticks, soap from Leslie's Garden (love her soap!) and some honey (Fireweed and Orange blossom, both yummy!)

We stayed for the spin-in and got to spend some more time with Opal as well as getting some spinning done. Came home with kettle corn. All and all, a great time!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I have some of the Just Our Yarn Tencel. I love the color, but I just haven't managed to get started with it. I've even bought the pattern for it........

8:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like a great day! You picked up some lovely mementos...

9:32 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

color me green :-)

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun! :-) That Golding is amazingly lovely. I hope you'll show us something wonderful that you spin with it. :-)

10:41 AM  
Blogger margene said...

I've never seen a Golding as beautiful as that!!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Sounds like you had a great time! The Golding spindle is amazing, indeed : )

2:24 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I had such a great time too! Can you believe I bought the sister spindle to yours? It's the one done in sterling silver. I cannot believe I spent that much money on a spindle. Now I'm afraid to use it.

I really hope we can do this again another year!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Deenz said...

Oh - I just saw those new Goldings online and I am totally jealous, lol. Just beautiful!

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that gold paint, or actual gold leaf, or what? Beautiful from a distance, last night, and here on the blog, too!

5:54 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Oh wow, amazing golding.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home