Sunday, October 07, 2007

Going Greener

I'm not perfect when it comes to the environment. Actually, I'm nowhere close to perfect, but I figure if each person picks one area to improve upon, then maybe the environment will be a little healthier. So, I'm taking baby steps and my first improvement is the market bag:

I've decided to make enough of these so I'll never have to get another plastic bag. It seems like a such a little thing, doesn't it? To not get plastic bags; they are small, one won't hurt much. But if you figure that I get about 10 or so plastic bags over the course of a week at various places, that makes 520 plastic bags a year. Even if I take them to be recycled, it takes energy to recycle them and how do I know the grocery store doesn't just throw all the bags away when their recycling bin gets full.

So yes, it's a little thing, but it's a start.

Edited to add: I guess I should have mentioned, it's my own improvised pattern. I'll get around to writing it up sometime, maybe after I do another one and work out a couple of small things; it's nothing fancy though.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay you! It does make a difference. And only a small percentage of plastic bags are actually recylced anyway. Most of them are just dumped. And that's a good looking bag too!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

One hint? Make several more than you think you need so you can keep a stash in each vehicle. We have 6 I think and it seems we often forget to grab the bags, or only remember to get them when we know we are going to th grocery store. We tend to do better when we keep 2 in each car.

Which of the many patterns out there did you choose to use?

10:09 AM  
Blogger Prachi said...

Yay for you! I started doing that a few years ago and it's amazing what a difference it makes. I did have some resistance from my supermarket at first, for some reason - they gave all sorts of excuses for why I must use their plastic bags with their name printed on it - security, hygiene, whatnot. But now I also have the same brown paper bag from my LYS, which I take back to them every time I need to buy something and they love it.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! I rarely do the shopping, but as soon as I go back to that, I may have to do the same thing. I hate wasting all those bags, atlhough we do reuse the plastic ones in many ways.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh you rock! Those plastic bags are terrible. I try never to use them when I go shopping. I usually use plain tote bags though.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I crocheted a few of those and gave them to friends who live in San Francisco where plastic bags have been outlawed. They make great gifts.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Good for you! I recently bought several, but I just need to get in the habit of remembering to bring them in the store! I keep forgetting. I hate those plastic bags with a passion (except when picking up dog poop)!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Great bag! And every bit helps. Our supermarkets often refund an nickel or dime per re-usable bag per visit. At your 10 bags a week, that's a couple of nice knitting projects in savings a year.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I bring bags for my big grocery shopping at the co-op, but not so reliably anywhere else. Alas, I really like the plastic bags from the store for litterbox cleaning... :(

Your bag turned out really cool!

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home