Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Avert Your Eyes

If you have to have your socks match:

I did try to match the socks. I wound off the entire ball of Trekking after finishing the first sock, but the repeat was just too long. You can see the pattern repeat if you look at the cuff of the bottom sock, then look near the toe at the last pink stripe before the toe. (If you're really obsessive like me, you can click on the picture for a bigger view.) Anyway, so I wound off the rest of the ball and realized there wasn't enough to make the whole second sock match exactly (I could have made them match to about the toe, but I thought that would drive me even more crazy; I also could have ripped the first one out to the toe and done the toe in a solid color, but I thought that would make me seem overly obsessive or something.), so I just used the opposite end of the ball to make them completely unmatch.

The specs:
Yarn: Trekking color 80 (I love this color, even with the long non-matching repeat)
Needles: My usual size 0 dpns
Pattern: My very own Plain Old Stockinette Socks

I just got some more dpns, some of Knitpicks size 0s in both the nickel-plated and their new Harmony line. The Harmony ones are very pretty and seem very much like bamboo needles from the first impressions. I have not used them for socks yet, but I will let you know how I like them. They come in packs of 6 instead of the usual 5, just in case. I might need to get some of the tips for my Options kit eventually, but I'm happy with the nickel ones for now. I also got some of their cotton linen in various colors for a couple of new small projects which I'll reveal in a couple of days, maybe.

Then again, I might be MIA for a week or two. Halo 3 is out today, after all. Anyone else been looking forward to the conclusion? My DH talked me into playing Halo 1 co-op with him a few years ago and I've been hooked ever since.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy said...

I've had that problem with some Trekking colors as well. The obsessive side of me is learning to deal with it. I'm using the Harmony dpn's and I love them! Because of the lamination, they seem a little stiffer and not so bendy as bamboos. I give them a definite thumbs up. Not sure what I'll do about the Options because I love the nickel ones. But I might order some small sizes for lace. My son is excited about Halo 3 too. Yesterday we drove to a shopping center here in Orlando and the line had started at 12:00 noon. In this heat! They're crazy!!

8:13 AM  
Blogger margene said...

They look fine! I like that they match but not quite;-)

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just not possible to match Trekking socks. I don't even try anymore. That way madness lies. ;-)

I'm very curious about the Harmony needles. I've been wondering if all the color in the needles is distracting, or makes it harder to see your stitches clearly. Please do tell! :-)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's a gorgeous color! *covet covet covet* I managed to make my 126 socks match, but 126 is the shortest Trekking color repeat I've seen so far. My other Trekking socks don't match and I am trying to get better at dealing with it.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love those Trekking socks. I thought they matched until I read the rest of your post. I think they are gorgeous. But then I could care less if my socks match. :)

Ah yes, the hubster and I went at 12:01 and picked up our copies of Halo 3 at Circuit City. We each have our own Xbox so we got 2 copies. :) (Lizzy B BTW...)

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have even noticed, but then I'm not too observant when it comes to these things.

I love the colors of them!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heh heh heh. Defeated by the Trekking! I had a feeling it would come to this. I'm glad to see you got past the aversion to not-quite-matching, because the socks look fantastic.

I'm nearly finished my Iceman Cometh second sock. Got derailed by a huge deadline at work that had me slaving 10+ hour days last week plus 4 hours on Sunday. Sigh. I didn't win the contest (someone else posted photos of all three socks), so my next pair will be the same designer's Octoberfest pair--beer socks!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

They're way cute and I think the not quite matchy give them character! :)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

i think they're beautiful!

5:15 PM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

I like how they're complementary! That's fun. Pretty pretty colorway.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are absolutely gorgeous.

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer that my socks don't match myself.... I think it makes them more fun.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Pretty socks! I don't try to match socks even when the repeat is shorter. Perhaps I'm just lazy.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home