Monday, September 03, 2007

Vacation Yarn

Well, we just got back from a trip to visit the in-laws a bit off the beaten path in New York. There is really not much in this town. Really. A couple of small corner stores and that's about it. Lots of farms around. Nearest grocery store is still about half an hour away. So I was more than a bit surprised to find something just for me there - a brand new fabric and yarn store, only had been open about a month. I didn't even get a chance to look at the fabric side, but I was really impressed with the yarn selection. It rivals anything I've seen in the DC shops I've been to. If you're ever in the St. Lawrence county, NY area, it really is worth a side trip to Rensselaer Falls. It's in a beautifully restored building and called Fiber Options. If you hit the small town, you really can't miss it. (There was no big sign on the outside of the building; I don't know if there will be or not, but it's right by the post office.) Here's what I came away with (hey, I was supporting a small business!):

Some LOVELY laceweight Fino from Alpaca with a twist:

I went with a mauve color only because I had so very many purple shawls. They had a lovely purple as well.

And just so Chris won't think I've deserted purple, there's this Anne sock yarn:

The picture in no way captures the vibrancy of these purples. It is absolutely gorgeous stuff!

Some Panda Wool to experiment with:


And something just a little different colorwise for me (it actually has a little more blue than the picture suggests):


I got a little bit done on the Cap Shawl. I'm about halfway done with the whole thing now. I'll post a picture of that progress Wednesday. Have a nice holiday to everyone in the US!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Don't ya love unexpected yarn? :)

Enjoy your holiday!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh! I've always wanted to see what Fino is like. It looks gorgeous. And I love that Lang Jawoll colour!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I love vacation yarn. And supporting a small yarn store just starting out is even better. I'll be looking forward to your projects.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Whew! :) I love Anne... I have a LOT.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Fino! I've managed to get a whole Nina shawl out of (every last yard of) one skein. And another skein became a Bigfoot shawl, which was a little easier to stop wherever, patternwise.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home