Friday, July 20, 2007

Back!

Hi, bet you thought I'd disappeared, huh? (Thanks to everyone who asked if I was okay.) Well, I'm still here. I just took a trip down to Georgia to visit family for a week and just got back yesterday. It was a fun trip overall, but there were a couple of downers. First of all, the drive was terrible. There was construction all over I-85. Whoever thought it was a good idea to take two or three lanes and merge them into one on an interstate was an idiot. A lot of the construction was to actually widen the roads. Okay, so you're creating a huge traffic problem for the next few months (or maybe years) to supposedly lessen congestion in the future. Am I the only one who questions the wisdom?

And then there's my toe. I'm a klutz. I freely admit it and I freely admit when I do something stupid to hurt myself. But I did not do anything to nearly break my toe. On Friday the 13th (which usually isn't a bad day for me), I opened my mom's refrigerator to put the milk up and a can of soda somehow fell onto my poor toe, the one beside the big toe, and split the toenail right down the middle and nearly broke the toe. To my credit, I did not let any curse words slip past my lips to shock my poor grandmother who was sitting there in the kitchen at the time. And that took a bit of effort seeing as how quite a few flashed through my brain. My mother does not know how the can even got in the refrigerator. She didn't see it when she had gone in there earlier. If I had knocked it out, I would freely admit to being an idiot, but it really just fell. Luckily, the toe's better now. I've been keeping something on it to keep the nail glued together and I think maybe I won't lose the nail.

Other than that, it was a good trip. I saw most of the relatives and stayed busy all the time. I probably gained 5 pounds from all the good food (my mom made chicken pot pie and also biscuits, my grandmother made chicken and dumplins - not dumplings, mind you).

I got a little bit of knitting done. I'm nearly ready for the edging on the Diamond Stole and I'm to the heel of a sock. (I've slowed down on the sock knitting.) I'll show you those on Monday. I'll also show you a picture of my first big knitting project that I made years ago - it was a lace afghan. I've never had any fear of lace.

Here's a bit of amusement. I laugh every time I go through Gaffney, SC on I-85 because of this huge water tower:

Years ago, this water tower didn't have the red shading and there was no leaf. I can't help it, it's always looked like a giant bum to me.

And I leave you with the reminder (as if anyone needs a reminder) that I will be nowhere to be found tomorrow and into the wee hours of Sunday because I'll be reading. If you don't know what I'll be reading, then you've obviously been living in a cave for the past few months. I promise Monday I won't give spoilers, but I will be open for discussions of the book!

10 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Sorry about the toe. That water tower looks like a bum to me, too. And it's even got a hemorrhoid from the looks of it.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Peach-oid! Know it well!

Sorry about your toe!

Yes, I will be reading, too, this weekend!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

That is funny water tower! And, I've seen advertisements that use a macro shot of a beach as a bum substitute so I know where you're coming from.

I'm glad you had a nice visit with your family and am sorry about your toe!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

Yep, love the peachoid. I haven't been that way in a couple of years though.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We missed you!

Happy reading and healing!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

OUCH! Glad you had a good vacation otherwose. That watertower is FUNNY.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

Welcome back! Heal quickly. :)

Love the water tower.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

It still looks like a giant heiney :)

Hope your toe feels better!

Enjoy your reading!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Ambushed by an assault can! Oh your poor toe!

Man that water tower really does look like a bum. That's hilarious!

It's good to have you back. I missed you. :-)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Sorry about your toe. I'm glad it's not broken. Enjoy Book 7!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home