Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Book Review Friday

I realized I completely missed my second year blogiversary. It was June 2. I had intended to host my first contest and everything, but it sort of snuck up on me and I completely spaced. But I think I'm going to try and come up with something soon though. (Soon being a relative term, of course. It might be a couple more months.)

Anyway, I've recently acquired some new knitting books I'd like to share. I'll start with Charmed Knits by Alison Hansel. I like this book. It has tons of neat projects based on the Harry Potter books and movies including house scarves, sweaters, socks and mittens, Dobby socks, a stuffed Errol, a wizard robe and a couple of neat bags. A little something for all the HP knitting fans.

The next book is Fitted Knits. I bought this book after I had bought the Knitted Bodice pattern by Stefanie Japel. This book has some invaluable information on making patterns fit your own body. Basically, you should know your own measurements and know how to add or subtract decreases in the pattern to fit. Many of the patterns are knitted from the top down so you can actually try them on as you knit to see if you're going to get the right fit. While there are a couple of patterns in bulky yarn (which I've never had the desire to use), most seem to be in worsted weight yarn which I've actually been using quite a bit of lately. I really like the textured tunic which is on the cover and I'm thinking that the pink pima silk might end up being the Drop-Stitch lace tank. There are all sorts of sweaters, cardigans, vests and even an adorable dress and a really smart suit (neither of which I'll ever have an occasion to wear).

The last book is Knitting Lingerie Style from Joan McGowan-Michael. This is a cool book. I've loved JMM's designs for a while and have made the Shapely Tank and Bella, so I was excited when this book came out. I got it straight from White Lies, so it is autographed. This book does have a bit of actual lingerie in it - there is the one-piece wonder on the cover and a cute bra/panty set, but many of the designs are lingerie-inspired - lots of pretty tanks, camisoles and sweaters. Many of the designs I'd never wear without a camisole underneath, but they are very pretty, fitted and feminine designs and I'll probably be making some stuff from the book.

Anyway, that's my two cents on some of the new knitting books out there. What are your favorite new knitting books and which ones are you most looking forward to? There are lots of new cool ones coming out in the fall!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Susan Pandorf said...

I like "Modern Classics" by Louisa Harding. Some great patterns, divided by weight. Have knitted several of them up in othe yarns. I also like Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature, even though that hardly qualifies as new.

As to what I am next aquiring, will probably go for the McGowan Michael book or "Runway Knits" by Berta Karapetyan

Needless to say, any new sock book gets gobbled up voraciously and dissapears into the gigantic maw that is my sock knitting fetish, er, corner.

Blessings!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the reviews!! I've been very curious about Charmed Knits.

And belated happy blogiversary!

2:58 PM  
Blogger margene said...

Happy Bloggiversary! There are so, so many great books coming out. My fall book budget will need to be bigger than normal. Susan mentions Modern Classics and that is a very nice book of classic styles. I hope to knit something from it soon.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Great reviews. I was really curious about the JMM book. I'm going to have to really look into it. I just love her patterns.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Thanks for the reviews!

Happy blogiversary. :)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Thanks for the reviews!

There are a couple of patterns I like in No Sheep for You. Since I live in California, I thought garments designed for non-wool yarn might be useful. Usually though, I pour through stitch dictionaries for sock, shawl and scarf ideas.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Happy Blogiversary Alison!!

I heard Nancy Bush is coming out with a sock book for the more advanced sock knitter - I can't wait to see that but if it's all colorwork, I'll be very disappointed.

I love the look of the new book Runway Knits by the woman who started Karabella. I don't know that I would make much from the book but there is some way cool and innovative construction and design in there!

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated blogiversary :o)

I managed to purchase two copies of Charmed Knits like a big idiot...I guess I'm going to have to give one away eventually ;o)

11:52 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

thanks for the reviews!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home