Friday, May 18, 2007

One-Project Knitter? and a Meme

Bonsai's back is finished and I've begun the front. It's been pointed out to me recently that I'm a one-project knitter and I was sort of taken by surprise because that's not how I would ever describe myself. I mean just look at the sidebar; that's hardly one project there. But my friend is sort of right. Lately, though I have lots on the needles, I've been working on just one project at a time. I worked on the Shapely tank front, then the skirt front, then I finished the tank, then I finished the skirt, but I did work each piece one at a time, not simultaneously. To be quite honest, it's weirding me out because it's not at all like me. I usually jump from one project to the next, usually a pair of socks, maybe a bit of lace, and some sort of sweater/tank. I almost always have at least two projects in my knitting bag and will work on both in the space of ten minutes. But right now all my focus is on Bonsai. Though thoughts have occasionally entered my head of my poor languishing Forest Path Stole and the Purple Diamond Stole (and maybe a couple of other things), I just want to finish Bonsai before picking them back up. Maybe I've just been choosing quick projects; the tank didn't take long and Bonsai isn't going to either. Maybe I just really want some stuff to wear for the summer quickly.

Brenda tagged me, so here goes:

Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and need to read your blog.

The 7 Facts:
1. I've never lived outside of the South - Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia.
2. I had never been out of the country before college. I've now been to three continents besides North America - Australia, Asia and Europe.
3. I'm reading the first Harry Potter book translated into Latin. I plan to start Harrius Potter Et Camera Secretorum when I'm done. I'm also teaching myself Ancient Greek and plan to someday read the Ancient Greek translation of the first HP. (They are currently planning on translating all the books into both languages. And I'm excited about it.)
4. I'm very cynical about almost everything - politics, our country's educational system, celebrities, people in general.
5. I homeschool.
6. I hate making phone calls to strangers. I avoid it like the plague.
7. I've yet to meet a craft that I didn't like - tatting, crocheting, embroidery, sewing, cross-stitch, polymer clay, miniatures, beading, temari, and probably a few others. Someday, I hope to extend the list to bobbin lace and maybe weaving.

If you want to do the meme and haven't been tagged yet, consider yourself tagged!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alianne, I'm strongly considering homeschooling my 3yr old son, Jordan (recently adopted from Russia). Care to share any of your favorite homeschooling resources?

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you're teaching yourself ancient Greek! Dead languages are awesome. ;-)

Probably the best class I ever took was a seminar on Old English. Lots of Beowulf. It was just incredible.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I had NO idea about the Latin and Greek! Wow. :) I'm pretty cynical about things, too. *sigh*

Interesting how you became a single-project knitter without even noticing.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

I love how you became a single-project knitter without being aware of it. That's hilarious. I also think it's great that you're reading HP in Latin and that you're teaching yourself Ancient Greek. That's awesome.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

I homeschool too! And I love that you are reading HP in Latin. How cool!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I had no idea Harry Potter was translated into Latin and ancient Greek.

Maybe it was knitting the entire hexagon shawl from VLT in 37 min that you did last fall that tipped you over to the single-project knitter mindset. I am still amazed at how quickly you knit that.

Thanks for the heads up on my bloglines difficulties. I'll have M help me with that, supergeek that he is.

Have a great weekend!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Ali, I love ya bunches but you are no way, no how a "one project knitter" cause even reading about all your WIPs gives this two project knitter hives!

You are a "singularly focused" knitter I think :)

10:50 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Your random facts make my head spin! I'm afraid my Latin is way too rusty to try and read a whole book. Maybe it's like riding a bike and you never really forget? It must be something in the air, but I've been focusing on one project at a time too. I really want to get Forest Path done because quite frankly I'm bored to tears with it and just want it out of the knitting basket!

10:06 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

wow, ancient greek, now that is impressive!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home