Friday, July 27, 2007

First Knit Project

The edging for the Diamond Stole is determined to drive me quite mad. I've gotten very little done on it, not for lack of trying. I've had to restart the edging about 5 times for various reasons - not liking the way it was joined, ending up with the wrong number of stitches. So instead of showing you progress on that, I thought I'd show you one of my first big knit projects that I did around junior high or so.

It's an afghan I made for my mother. It shows I've never been afraid of lace. Since my mother didn't knit, no one was able to tell you that I couldn't do this particular pattern because it was too difficult. I remember it being a bit challenging, but nothing beyond my capabilities.

Hopefully, Monday I'll have progress to show on the edging. Until then, have a great weekend!

13 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

Oooooooooh. That is really lovely.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

That is just gorgeous! I can't believe that was your first project!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Lovely afghan! If you could knit that in Junior High, the edging will surrender to your skill!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

The afghan is amazing!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was your first project???? I am blown away- my first real knit project was a little pink roll-brimmed hat that came out cute but a bit too big- although that didn't keep me from wearing it through my final Boston winter...

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's beautiful.

Now, you have to remember that I learned to knit in the 70s! Very important!! My first knit project was an afghan, also. It was bobbles -- thousands of bobbles. I knit the border (garter), then asked my mother "how do you k1,p1,k1,p1,k1 in the next stitch"????? Mom, who doesn't knit, showed me, and I was off!

I have another one of those started, that was for my grandmother (long dead now). One day when I come across it, I'll frog that thing!

(Mom used to knit, but she tried to knit my Dad (6'4" Santa Claus) an Aran sweater, and it came out TOO BIG, so she never knit again!)

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! :o)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Wow! In junior high?!? Nice!

4:27 PM  
Blogger maniacalmultitasker said...

That is just beautiful!
Timeless!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You knit that all the way back in junior high? Wow! And it looks like it's still in really good condition, too...

9:55 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow, junior high?! Cool!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh its very pretty, what a great first project. How long did it take you?

1:18 PM  
Blogger kimberly said...

Oh that is really pretty. With me I always knit but thought nothing of it until I starting bloggging and found this amazing world of knitters. Now I see how advanced those first projects were. Yours is amazing!! You are soo talented.

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home