Monday, October 08, 2007

Fall Fiber Festival

Thanks for all the bag comments!

This past weekend, I went to the annual Virginia Fall Fiber Festival. It's a smallish affair, but lots of really great vendors. I only ended up leaving with two things (well, if you don't count the big bag of kettle corn :-)

The purple on the top is actually very pretty. It's merino/tencel in purple with black and grey. Very pretty and should spin up nicely. And the red is also merino/tencel and is a very nice pinkish-red. I got my wheel out for the first time in a while and worked on some stuff from the MD S&W. I refuse to buy any more bobbins so that I have to limit my projects. So I have to finish this lovely stuff before beginning on anything else.


I was also sorely tempted by the looms there. Yes, I'm going to finally take up weaving. I can't help it, I'm obsessed by the thought now, doing my usual obsession thing of reading everything available on the subject and thinking about it constantly. So, yarn and roving might be a bit scarce for a while since I'm saving up. I'm hoping I can find a used one exactly like I want, but I might not be able to find one used. I'm looking at table looms and I have the one I want all picked out.

I know, it's not as if I really need another hobby or anything.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, beautiful batt! Looks like Grafton Fibers!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I've always wanted to weave! I avoid thinking about it at all, NO MORE HOBBIES for me. It was so hard when I was in school and there were 2 dozen looms right up stairs. I'll just drool at what you do.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry I didn't manage to connect with you at the festival. I did get your message, but I (semi-unintentionally) slept in and got a late start, then I got stuck in a HUGE backup on 66W. It was after 1:30 when I got to the festival. Boy, was it hot!

I bought 8 oz. of alpaca to spin (blended brown/black/nearly white), a couple of skeins of hand-dyed wool for hats (for me), and some sock yarn I didn't need but loved.

I have a Weavette loom I haven't used enough (I was working my way through the pattern book), but I've never felt a strong desire to learn large-scale weaving. I need to get good at wheel spinning!

Off to Stitches this weekend for 12 hours of Fair Isling, 3 hours of Bavarian knitting, and as much marketing as my feet and wallet can take (not much on the wallet front, alas).

1:04 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Gorgeous fibers! I feel very lucky in that I've never been bitten by the weaving bug. I do look forward to seeing your journey into that world though. :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I too will live vicariously thru you Alison! :)

Pretty new "yarn to be"!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Gorgeous colors! It will be fun to enjoy the secondhand weaving experience. :)

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that red. Actually, I have two looms I've been given, and find that I like the texture and fluidity of knitting better.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Susan Pandorf said...

Just catching up with everybody...

I want to learn weaving also. My husband says I have to wait until we move though. The loom is apparently considered unsightly.

MUGGLE!

Blessings...

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home