Wednesday, February 01, 2006

May I present

My first finished project of 2006 - "Lizzie"

And the closeup of the moss stitch diamond and cables:

Specs:
Pattern: Lizzie by Kim Hargreaves from A Treasury of Rowan Knits
Yarn: 11 skeins of Color Your Own Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks
Modifications: The pattern is written for Rowan Denim which is supposed to shrink lengthwise when washed for the first time. Since I used 100% wool, shrinking wasn't an option. I can't tell you exactly what I modified since I pretty much fudged as I worked on it. It wasn't a great bit though, mostly just length in places. I will tell you that the sleeves didn't quite fit into the armholes, so I sort of fixed that problem when sewing. It's under the arm, so you can't really tell.
Start Date: Somewhere around the end of November. End date: January 31 (except for the belt and the buttons)

I love this sweater! The sleeves are maybe just a tad too long, but the length of the sweater is just perfect, exactly what I wanted. It comes to just below the hips and is really warm. This sweater has also taught me a bit about collar construction which is a good thing because I think I almost understand how to make a sweater that I've really been wanting to design.

Next on the horizon: I picked my Landscape Shawl up last night. It seemed to be the project that was calling to me right now.

14 Comments:

Blogger Prachi said...

Beautiful, Alison! I've been looking forward to seeing this as a FO and it looks gorgeous. The pattern doesn't seem that complicated but the overall look is very sophisticated and suits the light shade of the yarn. Well done!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is beautiful, a creme sweater I think is just about the perfect addition to any wardrobe.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done. I like your sweater.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely gorgeous. GORGEOUS.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's fantastic! What a beautiful sweater.

1:06 PM  
Blogger chris said...

So stunningly gorgeous!! The natural wool really highlights the beauty of the cables and the intricate pattern. You did such a beautiful job with it!! You always inspire me with your amazing knits. Take care, Alison! :-)

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband loved your idea of the tung oil by the way, so that is what we decided to get. He's going to do a test portion on the bottom of the treadle so by the time I get home I can get an idea of what it would look like.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Really beautiful & I love the collar!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater has such nice texture- I really like it, and it does look like its a really good length (I like longer sweaters)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I adore this sweater Alison! Classic and perectly knitted, well done!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congrats! It looks fabulous.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely sweater. You did a beautiful job, and Kim Hargreaves is such a great designer isn't she?

9:31 AM  
Blogger LadyV said...

WOW! Alison it is absolutely gorgeous! Great knitting! You have got to be so pleased.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Liz M. said...

Oh my! Can I have it? Pleaaaaaaseeeeee? Just wonderful! And that green/maroon/cream/pink/and every other color skein up top is to die for! I love those colors! :)

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home