Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Scarf

I may have spoken too soon about not liking the scarf. It came off the loom yesterday and it's much better than I had hoped. It's not perfect by any means, the selvedges are wonky (quite a bit in some places) and it's a bit wavy in places, but overall it is actually quite lovely and I'm happier with it than I'd anticipated (making me really glad I didn't cut it off the loom before I'd finished).

The colors are quite beautiful and the pictures do not do the colors justice at all. I played with lots of pictures and I tried color editing them, but they still aren't great. Pinks and purples are apparently really hard to get right with a digital camera (a real shame since probably 90% of what I do are in those colors). Maybe someday I'll discover how to use the editing tools more effectively. The colors are pink, magenta (dahlia), and eggplant in alpaca silk from Webs. I made my Icarus from the pink and my Hexagon Spider Shawl from the eggplant.

Anyway, here's the best I could seem to get (though the colors in the picture are pretty, the picture just doesn't capture the depth and richness of the colors):

The closeup:


It's a simple 2/2 twill that reverses in the center of the scarf as well as after every three block rows, creating a diamond pattern. The warp colors blocks of pink, magenta and eggplant, and I did the blocks in rows of the same colors. I love the way the colors work so well together and can see myself playing more in the future with colors in weaving. I have tons of scraps of yarn from lace and socks; I can see making some things out of that. I enjoyed working on this scarf and it went much quicker than I thought once I actually sat at the loom for a while. I'm working on twisting fringe and I'll wash it after that. My next weaving project - simple plainweave towels. I've already wound the warp and might do a small sample to make sure my settings are good.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm impressed! Its really beautiful and no one will notice the imperfections.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

It's realy beautiful - and how incredible that you made it yourself!!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love it!! You're good at this weaving thing. :)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wow, it is beautiful! I don't see any flaws, just gorgeous, drool-worthy colors. I wish I could buy fabric like this to make a jacket.

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty. Beautiful work as always. Mom

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home