Thursday, September 02, 2010

Wardrobe Re-Fashion

Recently, I came across a neat blog called Wardrobe Re-Fashion. The rules are not to buy any new clothing for a certain amount of time. You choose whether you want to sign up for 2, 4, 6 months or life. Thrift stores are fine and undies, special needs clothing (for employment, sports or school), and shoes are exempt. Handmade items from somewhere like Etsy are also exempted. You get one "Get out of Jail Free" card per each 2 month period (just in case you see something you just have to have). The overall idea of the blog is to recycle, refashion and renovate items that have been pre-owned, whether from your closet or the thrift store. Or to craft items yourself.

Now having recently made a similar personal pledge to myself to make most of my own clothing, I signed up for six months. I got sick of things not fitting properly. T-shirts for instance. If ever I found ones in my size that I liked, they were mostly too short for me. (I'm a mom, not some twenty-ish stick model who likes to show off her belly button.) Since I hate to shop for clothing, 6 months just doesn't seem like a lot for me.

I still plan to show the t-shirts I've made in a later post. (I never remember to get pictures when I have them on for some reason.)

The Pledge

I, Alison, pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 6 months. I pledge that I shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovoted, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftiness brings! Signed, Alison

6 month pledge

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Um. I think I've gone longer than six months without buying clothes simply because I hate to shop. :)

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home