Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Too Ambitious

I've been working on the loom all week to finish a scarf that's been on there for quite a while. I've realized I'm not going to be happy with it. I should have waited a while.

I'm not saying one shouldn't be ambitious. I've been pretty ambitious in my knitting, but only after laying the proper foundations. I didn't exactly start out with complicated colorwork or lace. And when I did begin laceknitting, I didn't go straight for Frost Flowers and Leaves or Magickal Earth(even though Gathering of Lace was the first lace book I bought). I patiently knit other shawls that appealed to me. And when I was confident enough, I tackled both Frost Flowers and Leaves and Magickal Earth.

As for my weaving, I knew I wasn't ready for a pretty scarf. I knew I had tension issues with the warp and serious uneven selvedge issues. But I was impatient and hadn't addressed my problems; I ignored that little voice and went ahead and did it anyway. So now I have a scarf on the loom with lopsided edges and I'm a bit unhappy with it.

So lesson learned. I'm going to finish it (pictures then because I can't seem to get any decent color ones on the loom) and see if it's any better off the loom (I'm not expecting it to be). And I'll be weaving a set of simple towels next. When I'm ready I'll do something else.

Finished sock picts later in the week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh, how frustrating!!! Maybe it can be that project you come back to in two years and admire how far you've come.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Jan from Guild said...

Mmm, too bad!

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home