Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Blob Returns

Or the magic of blocking.
The blob:

The blob approaches soapy water:

The blob submerges:

The blob oozes out to dry:

(By the way, you probably don't want to know how I got that shot of the shawl on the bed. Let's just say it probably wasn't such a good idea for a klutz such as myself.)

The specs:
Pattern: Hexagon Spider's Web Shawl from the new Victorian Lace Today
Needles: Starts on size 7s and progresses up to size 10s
Yarn: Alpaca Silk from Webs in Eggplant, just over 1 cone (see a more accurate color, click here)
Stitches: Counting the crochet border, over 100,000!
Size: 72 inches across (That is a yard stick in the center there.)
Start date: Thursday, November 9
End date: Saturday, November 25 (That's a mere 17 days.) And yes, I neglected a lot else to accomplish this and I don't think I'll be doing any marathon knitting again any time soon. In fact, I think I'm not going to be knitting at all for a few days. I still have a dress to finish before next Saturday (the front is done; this afternoon is for the back). My hands are really tired and I realize I am insane. It is beautiful though and I am so glad I'll be able to wear it to the party.

I found no errors in the pattern though there was one time I was cursing it heavily because I thought there was. Turns out it was my error; I had an extra yarn over per section for a row and it threw my count off. Easily fixed. The crochet bind-off border (chain 8, knit into shawl stitch, chain 4, knit into shawl stitch, repeat) easily was the most annoying part because I thought I was so close to being done. I stayed up last night until nearly midnight trying to finish and only succeeded in binding off two sections. I finally finished this morning.

And I hope to get back to my regularly scheduled blogging. I hope to catch up on my commenting in the next week or so.

Labels:

33 Comments:

Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Wow - its gorgeous! Quite a feat for such a short time.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shawl is beautiful! You knit it so quickly. Wow!
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

3:37 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's beautiful! I stand in awe of your accomplishment!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed that your fingers actually managed to type this entry! 17 days: that's totally insane, and I am looking forward to a photo of the shawl with your dress! It's a gorgeous shawl.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Unbelievable! You are a speed demon. It's gorgeous. You put the rest of us to shame.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

It's gorgeous! I knew you could do this, yet I'm still amazed. Now you need to sit yourself down with some chocolate and beverage of your choice.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

It's breathtaking and you are a knitting goddess Alison! BUT...rest those wrists! Remember you only get two and you want yours to last forever! I can't wait to see the complete ensemble :)

8:58 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Beautiful!! Congrats, it is gorgeous.

9:44 PM  
Blogger nat said...

It is so pretty, and you made it so fast! I am working on some marathon knitting myself, from the same book. It's a lot of fun knitting lace, isn't it? Yours always look so nice, too.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

All I can say is wow! It's truly beautiful. I was looking at the book at my LYS yesterday and fell in love. It's on my Christmas Wish List with 5 stars beside it. I want to make just about everything in it. But no in 17 days. Once again, WOW!
dswaite@mac.com

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my-that's really amazing! I can't believe you only knit for 17 days. Did you sleep?? I'm still amazed at how pretty that is.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Alison, it is beyond words......and in 17 days! Just. WOW! Well done! Wear it with pride.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm amazed that you knit it in 17 days! Definitely an inspiration for when I knit my half hex.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Beautiful, amazing, inspiring, crazy knitting! It is lovely. I can't wait to be good enough at lace to knit from that book.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You DID NOT finish that monster in 17 days?!?! No way. That's incredible. And it looks great in the alpaca silk, good choice. I got my copy of the book yesterday!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

It's so beautiful!! Heh, hopefully you didn't get blood on the shawl trying to get that picture...

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! Absolutely stunning. That does it, I'm buying that book.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shawl is beautiful!!!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really beautiful! It's going to be great with your dress.

4:08 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

wow. that's all i can say.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!!

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock.

That is some shawl....

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! I need to try some lace soon. I'm almost done with a scarf for W's mom and then maybe I'll tackle a lace project that I already have the supplies for.

Carrie

1:15 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Goodness gracious! That book just came out, and already you have a FO! And not a little teeny scarf, either, but a great big shawl! Respect is due. :-)

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I can hardly believe that you knitted that amazing shawl in such a short time. What a great accomplishment! I cannot wait to see it with your dress.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Susan (ZenKnit) said...

Beautiful work. How did you manage to block it so nicely? I still haven't blocked a few of my lace shawls because I don't have blocking wires.

Sending healing thoughts to your hands...

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooo beautiful, I'm really amazed.

6:23 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

lovely!!!!!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Beautiful! Its just gorgeous!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic looking shawl!

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, its a beautiful shwal. hey you sleep or not while making this shawl ;-) how could u make it in 17 days wow on that too... what a speed.

7:33 AM  
Blogger LUL said...

Beautiful!! And in such a short time! wow! I am so happy to get a good look of the shawl, it is quite hard to see from the pictures in the book.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home