Monday, November 06, 2006

Fleece

I haven't told you about what my in-laws brought to me last weekend. They brought me Romney fleece. A friend of theirs raises sheep and they picked out one of the fleeces for me. It's my first fleece so I can't give a really good description, but it's fairly soft which from my reading, Romney is supposed to be a bit coarser. I think it's from a younger sheep. It had already been washed for me, so I'm going straight to carding although I'll need to wash it a little more once it’s yarn. There is a little vegetable matter, but most of it is falling out in the carding process. And it's spinning up very nicely, fairly thin. I've read Romney is a good sock yarn. I could make a lot of socks.

As for my decision about the Hex Coat. I think I'm going to risk it because I realized something. I started the coat back in June and in the same month I had a health issue which made me rethink the way I eat and exercise. Nothing serious, my blood sugar was just a little elevated, so I started eating better and actually doing planned cardio two or three times a week along with weight training. I got my blood sugar down and I've lost a bit of my "baby" weight as a bonus. I've done the math of the tighter gauge and in theory it should fit my new size perfectly. Yes, I am aware that this is only theory and that I am tempting fate and might well have to reknit the whole darn thing. I am okay with that risk. I think. (Feel free to remind of this post if the coat doesn't fit.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I love spinning romney! It was one of the first wools that i played with. Enjoy!

Now think positive......
The coat will fit...
The coat will fit..
The coat will fit!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what fun! I can't wait to see how it spins up. Do you use hand carders?

Keeping my fingres crossed on the coat for you.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I think that more of the VM will come off when you start spinning it up too. I look forward to see you spin it up!

I've got my fingers crossed here on the coat too. I think it will fit. Kudos on getting yourself into better shape. I need to take a page out of that book.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey good for you! The coat will fit, dammit! What an incentive to both finish it and stick to your new plan.

Why don't any of my relatives or friends ever give me knitting gifts?

5:28 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm glad to hear that you are doing such great things healthwise. :) I bet you'll keep it up.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home