Wednesday, October 18, 2006

WIP Wednesday

Okay, so what did I need the scissors from Monday's post for?
Halloween costumes, of course. 'Tis the season. Luckily I only have one costume to make this year because the other one still fits. Renaissance princess costumes. It's cloudy and I couldn't get Photoshop to cough up the exact shade of royal purple (imagine just a little more red, not much, just a little), but you get the idea. The front is done. I hope to have everything else done by the weekend. Wish me luck. I'm notorious for waiting until the last minute and I still have two whole weeks. I'm sure I just jinxed it.

The first snowman vest is ready to be steeked, so I won't show that to you today. I'll do a photo essay of the process. There's just something that goes against the instincts about steeking. I mean I'm going to be cutting my knitting, something into which I've put hours of work. That's just insane.

I have a question for experienced steekers out there. Given that this is my first steek, (we're not counting the tiny swatch that I did so I could crochet a steek and cut it up which did work very well), should I have a drink first or should I forgo the alcohol? I'm afraid I might need some sort of fortification for this process. I'm cutting my work after all. Okay, I am cutting my work, so perhaps it should be done sober. Hmm, the dilemma.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pugknits said...

...LOL...that last paragraph was good...

nice dress...nice purple!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Annalea said...

I would suggest going to Eunny's blog (Eunny Knits), and doing a search for "steek". Reading about when she cut the vent steeks for a tailored jacket she knit made regular 'ol steeks look sooooo tame . . . .

Hint: She was knitting with unwashed shetland wool (meaning it still had the spinning oil on it), and the steek was just less than 1/4" in total width . . . nothing but the pickup loops holding the whole thing together . . .

You'll do fine. :o)

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is going to be one great costume!

I second checkin gout Eunny Knits for steeking info...

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One drink before and two after. EZimmermann recommends lying down in a darkened room, but you can skip that in favour of another drink!
Eunny's steek series is indeed good.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I recommend passing on the alcohol (at least until after). Steeks are best done sober. However, my advice is to relax!! No one will die!! The world will keep on spinning. Just the old adage to measure twice and cut once!
dswaite@mac.com

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember making a halloween costume once. Notice, "once". She wanted to be a dalmation, and the fabric was furry and got up my nose and every other crevice. I will never do that again.
But good luck to you!

I'm very interested in your steek photos. I personally, would likker-up, if it were me. But I've been known to make dumb decisions.......

6:41 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love that shade of purple. Will we get to see some modelled shots??

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home