Saturday, November 04, 2006

Snowman Vest

The first snowman vest is completely finished.

A close-up of the snowmen.

Specs:
Pattern: Snowmen and Skates Vest from Knit Picks
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette
Needles: Size 3
Buttons: My own that made in this post
Comments: I wish my tension had been a bit better, but this was my first big Fair Isle project. My tension has been better for the second vest so far.

Now, my other major project at the moment is the Hex Coat, but I'm having issues with the Hex Coat. I actually did a swatch and got perfect gauge. I was getting perfect gauge at the beginning of the project. So, why am I not getting perfect gauge now!? I'm not knitting at a tighter tension although when I measured last night I now have 19 stitches per 4 inches instead of the 17 I'm supposed to be getting. I am very frustrated and I don't know whether I should keep with it and try to block the pieces out a little before sewing them together (they are 100% wool) or if I should start all over. This is why I make so many shawls. The gauge is much more flexible and forgiving.

16 Comments:

Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I am SO impressed! Are they both gifts or do you get to keep one for yourself? And I love the buttons, I've done just enough polymer clay to really be impressed by your result.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Way cute! I just received the yarn for mine, but it will have to wait. How about a modeling shot?
dswaite@mac.com

5:27 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

This is soooo cute Alison! Well done!

Sorry to say I thing the hex coat needs a swim in the frog pond! Cut your losses now rather then later cause at least you'll only have to renknit some now!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Ali, I lost my address book in my many puter crashes....I need to tell you something about the entrelac socks, drop me an email, please? :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

The vest is so cute!!! I have yet to try fair isle. I really want to do the stocking cap that was in IK a while back. I'm afraid though......

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it so much! Wonderful work.

Greetings from rainy Cologne
Aud

2:46 AM  
Blogger nat said...

Those snowmen are so cute!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That vest is adorable! Great job!
I'm a FIMO freak so I adore those buttons! Great tutorial, by the way.
I think you should keep knitting and just do a little blocking on your sweater. Just my thoughts. I like those forgiving shawls too.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Tonni said...

Great job! This is such a cute pattern :)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of work! Very impressive, especially for a first fair isle project. Great job!

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks great! What a cute vest! And the buttons are perfect for it.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's so very, very cute! The tension looks fine, no one but another knitter would even be able to tell.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Absolutely adorable!!!!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutly beautiful, you've done an amazing job.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, it is SO CUTE!

11:29 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

the snaowman vest is adorable!
and happy birthday, the cake looks yummy :-)

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home