Monday, November 20, 2006

My Hands Haven't Fallen off Yet

I've been neglecting my blog, reading other blogs (so if you haven't had a comment from me lately, I'm trying to catch up!) and just about everything else the last few days. First of all, Saturday was my birthday and I treated myself to another hairstyle. You really don't know how big a deal it is for me to go twice within six months to have my hair done. I know normal people go every so often, but I've never considered myself normal. I mean, I hate spending one hour to three hours depending on just a style or also highlights (which I had done this weekend). It's three hours of sitting, but non-knitting time. I know some people love being pampered. I'm not one of them.

My birthday itself was good. I am now thirty-two. Doesn't bother me. I am truly in better shape now than I was at twenty-two. I'm happy with myself and my life. As for presents, I hate surprises. I mean I love surprises when they are out of the blue, but I truly hate knowing that I have a surprise coming and not having it in hand. And I usually manage to wheedle presents out of my DH before my birthday, so he's learned to get me several small things. Before my birthday, I managed to get Persuasion and a nice tea set from Adagio.com. On my birthday, I got Mansfield Park (TWO Jane Austen movies - he really loves me:) and a headset for my phone so I don't have to hold it on my shoulder. And he surprised me on Friday by bringing home a lovely chocolate cake, dark chocolate. Doesn't it look good?

It is very good. I forgot to get a picture before trying it out. I also got a little mad money for yarn and yarn-related equipment from other family :)

The second reason I'm neglecting the blog you already know. The insane knitting and sewing. The lining is cut for the dress and I pinned it together to see if I would have fit problems. Yes, I have fit problems. It would be a little tight in around the chest and back, so I think if I cut just a little more on the sides in that area, it will be fine. So there is a silver lining (get it, the lining is silver; bad, I know). I hope to have the dress cut out today and start the sewing tomorrow. The shawl is coming along, around 60% of the way done. I guess if worse comes to worse, I could skip the last repeat; the shawl is going to be huge anyway. But if I spend that much time on it, I really want to do it right. We'll see how it goes.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like a good one. And that cake looks so good!

9:41 AM  
Blogger aija said...

Happy birthday! The cake looks SO good :) Can't wait to see the shawl...

10:54 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Happy Birthday! Pass a slice of that gorgeous cake (shame on you for torturing us with just a photo!) and we'll get all of blogland to sing to you!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! And yum, that cake looks good.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I am glad that it was a good one and I hope you are able to get that beautiful dress sewn and the shawl knitted with plenty of time to spare. I hope you post a pic of the finished ensemble!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Happy Birthday Alison Hunny!!!

Glad you had fun!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice weekend and that cake looks divine. Of course now I'm craving chocolate cake. I'm so impressionable.

12:54 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

happy birthday!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Happy Birthday, Ali! Sounds like you had a great haul. All those lovely Jane Austen movies! I think I'll put them on my Netflix queue.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Belated happy birthday!! Our cakes looked very similar (DARK AND CHOCOLATELY YUMMY). Sounds like you had a good day! Good luck with the sewing. Sewing scares me.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Alison! And good luck keeping your fingers attached...

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Alison!

Good luck with your dress and shawl. They both look like they will be totally smashing!

That cake looks scrumptious. mmmmmm......

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hapy belated birthday!!! I always take me knitting with me to get my hair cut. That is definitely too much wasted time otherwise.

1:56 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Alison.

Oh yummy! Beautiful Lace and even some lovely chocolate cake piccies. What a nice treat for the eyes while they go trotting around the blog list.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home