Thursday, November 09, 2006

WIP Wednesday, a day late

I was waiting until I got something yesterday via the big brown truck to post, but it didn't come until late and then Blogger wasn't cooperating. I'll show you what the truck brought later. First, here is my entrelac sock in some of that lovely Lisa Souza yarn. I'm using the pattern from Knitter's Summer 2004 issue. (Thank you very much, Debi, for the advice on it!)

Now, for what the truck brought me. And, yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be on a yarn moratorium. But when I went stash diving, I realized that most of my laceweight stash is actually in small increments, meaning enough for a lacy scarf or small shawl. There is no way I had 1800 yards of anything for the large hexagon spider's web shawl on pages 42-47 of Victorian Lace Today. Not even a chance. So I ordered yarn.

This is going to be the Spider's Web Shawl from the book. (There is also a bright purple cone that is not shown because I couldn't get an accurate color, but it's pretty much the same color as my Wool Peddlar. I had to order the third cone to get the 20% discount after all.)

I think I've finally put my finger on some of what is bothering me about the book. Don't get me wrong, I love the book. There are six different pictures of the shawl (it can be a small half hex, a half-hex and a full hexagon. Six pictures showing the shawl arranged in several different dramatic ways, all of which I love (especially the way on page 47), but I would love to see a picture of the full hexagon laid out so I can see the whole thing at once. It's also fairly hard to make a copy of the charts because it is a rather large book. But, having complained, I feel obligated to point out that there are LOTS of beautiful designs in the book and it is totally worth having.

8 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

The book is already on my list because of you!

Gorgeous sock! I may have to try that one as well!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Gorgeous sock. As for the book, I've heard that the charts are a little on the teeny side as well. How do you like them?

3:01 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Great sock, I love the way it's striping, just like mine :)

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beauuuutiful sock!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow, entrelac socks - impressive!

And of course, I love those cones - gorgeous color. Who could resist that?

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool socks! I'm so curious about this shawl now-I'm so in love with shawls right now.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the entrelac sock- I have a pattern for a scarf but I keep getting a bit intimidated by it...

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More purple! The socks also look very pretty, but I am curious about the entrelac, though: won't they be too thick, and won't the seams make them uncomfortable on the inside?

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home