Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Random Questions

Having just darned a sock, I was curious - For those of you who make socks, do you bother with darning them when they get holes? I know there are some who will just throw them out, but I'm one of those thrifty types. If I spend so many hours making the socks in the first place, what's another half hour mending them every so often? The best way to mend socks is to look at the bottoms every time you put them on (or at least occasionally). When they start to get a little thin, do duplicate stitches in the thin area before the socks actually get holes in them. A great tutorial for what to do if holes actually develop can be found right here. Darning socks, to me, is just a part of wearing handknit socks. I know the ancestors that had to make socks didn't throw them out because of a hole; they darned them until they just couldn't be darned any more. (And you can actually get some pretty good mileage out of darning.) It can actually be as meditative as knitting or spinning, too. If you've never tried darning your socks, give it a try.

My next random question: Am I the only one not particularly impressed with the latest issue of Vogue Knits? The lacy tops were sort of cute, but not really anything that inspired me. Of course, it could just be my ennui talking.

Has anyone gotten their 2007 Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival Catalog yet? Just curious as it's getting to be pretty close, just over a month away now, and I can't remember when I got mine last year in relation to the actual festival. And while we're talking about the festival, anyone else going?

I guess that's about it. I actually started something new last night, but it's only the cast-on right now; I'll show you some progress later this week. And it wasn't with the red silk. I just didn't it right now, so it's back in the basket for now. I just picked out something rather simple and relatively quick, but still lace.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Raye said...

I haven't darned any socks yet, but did get some pretty big holes in the heels of the ones I made last year for Mr Fix-it. After trying a few things I had to throw them away--the holes were just too big. I should have done something sooner. I like your idea of duplicate stitches. Another thing that I will incorporate into his socks in the future is an afterthought heel. That way I can rip the old heel out, pick up the live stitches the whole way around and knit him a new heel. Wish I had done that on the other pair.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't yet darned a sock since none of my socks have holes. I don't know if I will or not when they do wear out.

Going to MSW? I'm jealous. My sisters and I went last year for the first time, and we can't go this year. Hopefully, next year.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I've never darned small holes before, my good socks wear pretty well. But I made a bunch of socks out of Woolease when i first started before I knew about nylon reinforcement. All of those I cut in the middle and completely remade the heels. Some of them have lasted another 5 years.

9:17 AM  
Blogger margene said...

If the toe goes and I have yarn on hand I will reknit. If it's the heel...well, out it goes! If you have enough socks they rarely wear out:-)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I've been lucky so far and haven't gotten any holes in my hand knit socks. But I really like that tip about catching them before they get holes. I'm going to go look at all of mine now. Duplicate stitch is a whole lot better than facing a hole. Thanks!
dswaite@mac.com

10:09 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have two socks in my darning pile. Of course, they've both been there for 1.5 years each........

10:20 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

I don't understand why books of sock patterns don't include detailed information on how to darn holes. Just one page at the back of the book would do the trick, you know?

So the answer is: no, I don't know how to do it, and I truly dread the day when one of my beloved socks finally springs a hole. I'll check out that link you posted, though (thanks!)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I haven't had to darn yet. I remember my grandmother darning a whole bunch of my socks as a kid on a summer visit. She grumbled about my mom not darning my socks, which I related to my mom (grandma was her mother) when I got back home. Didn't make Mom happy. Thanks for linking to the tutorial. I have some socks that I've knit that I really, really like, so I am sure I will want to darn them when they wear out.

Looking forward to the mysterious "easy" lace!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Agnes said...

I never have a chance to decide whether to darn a worn sock or not ... but most probably I would not. Knitting a new pair seems more fun than darning to me.
I am rather pleased with the new VK ... I like the mesh hoodie, the lace dress, the cropped lace sweater (if I make this, it needs to be lengthened) and the pink cardigan ... quite a lot of favourites in one issue for me ... :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

the vogue isn't as bad as i thought it would be ;-)

2:24 PM  
Blogger aija said...

I haven't darned, but I need to. I can't throw them away so easily just for a little wear! I don't cherish them once they're worn, but they're my favorites and I seem to not be able to replace them as fast as I'd like. (Thanks for that darning link!)

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you use a darning egg? They just look so cool- I have yet to darn a sock, but I want one of those darning eggs.

Just ride out the ennui- it will pass- It took me three months to get back on my knitting bandwagon- and even still I knit in fits and starts

6:36 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

You just need more socks so your have more for rotation! :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I haven't gotten to the point of needing to darn yet. I think because I wait for all the handknit socks to get dirty before I wash them so they are on a lighter rotation than our store boughts.

As for Vogue - I looked through it on the news stand yesterday. I really like the lacy tops. There were a couple other patterns that stood out and beyond that it was the ads. But, I was also reminded why I don't subscribe - nothing over a 40" finished bust measurement... For me, I might as well come up with my own design if I'm going to have to do all kinds of crazy math to upsize a pattern.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found *another* hole in my pomatomus socks that I only just finished in January so I definitely will be attempting darning again on that one.

I haven't been impressed with Vogue for a year now - which is why I am no longer a subscriber...

3:47 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Alie, I'll always darn socks. You are right, it takes a long time, for me anyway, to make them, and a little hole can't be let spoil the whole sock. I watch for holes and have the colors ready.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home