Friday, March 23, 2007

Jaywalker

Well, there has been a little knitting progress. Not much, mind you, but a little. I really do like the pattern for the yarn.

Now for the bad news. You know how everyone who has told me that they've had fit problems with the Jaywalkers have had them be baggy in the ankles. Well, I'm having the opposite problem. Maybe it's because they're toe up or something, but they are too tight in the foot/ankle area. I'm also using 0's instead of the called for 1's, but the fit on the foot is an absolutely perfect fit. I think I'm going to rip back to where the gusset starts and make the gusset a little longer by having two knit rounds between the gusset decreases instead of the usual one. I'll see what that gets me.

By the way, when I said yesterday that I had a serious case of knitting ennui, I probably should have mentioned that I'm just having a serious case of craft ennui. I haven't been working on much of anything. Well, not anything with pictures. I'm reading a really good book by Rebecca Brandewyne (never read anything by her before, but it is good) and a bit less noble, I've been sucked into a computer game called Pharaoh. It's not exactly a new game, but it's one of the highly addictive, micro-management games by the same company that did Caesar. They are basically the same game (except one is set in Egypt and one in Rome). You build a city, making sure the residents have water, food, entertainment, etc. Yeah, sounds really boring to some people, I know. But for the record, I also like Sims.

There is, however, a light at the end of the tunnel for my knitting ennui. It involves pink Regia silk though and Sheri is supposed to be getting some in soon. I swatched my cream-colored stuff last night and the gauge seems right, so I may have an exciting project soon!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't sweat the ennui. It happens to all of us on occasion.
I have a history of REALLY getting into things BIG TIME and then after a year or so I never do that thing again. The first time I had knitting ennui I thought, "this is it. I'm going to never knit again!" Not so, obviously, and I think it was because I didn't push myself. I let myself slow a bit and kept checking out the patterns and yarn (there are always enough of those, aren't they?) until the inspiration hit again. And boy did it!
Relax and knit a few rows or keep looking for that yarn to show up!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I like those colors! Make them right, you'll never like them if you don't, and what would that do for the motivation?

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a problem with the fit of my Jaywalkers. I like mine so much; I hope you get your fit issues worked out.

I got a sample of the Regia Silk in my last Loopy Ewe order. It seems really, really nice. Looking forward to what you're going to use it for.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

You're right, the JWs look great in that yarn!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Jaywalkers tend to be quite tight across the instep because the fabric doesn't stretch at all. I hope yours wind up fitting the way you want.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

The Jaywalker is a very tricky sock. Some people (like Cara) knit dozens of pairs and they all come out beautifully. But for the rest of us, it can be very hard to get them to fit right. I absolutely love the way the pattern looks, and have been thinking about giving it yet another try, even though it always ends in heartbreak for me. ;-)

It looks like you've done a Widdershins-type heel. Very cool!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

I hope you can resolve your fit problems with the JWs soon. The game your playing sounds fascinating. Isn't House on tonight? Maybe that will tear you away from it long enough to give you some knitting time. ;-)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have the same problem with Jaywalkers - beastly tight in the ankle area. That pattern has NO GIVE.

Did you ever get sucked into playing Civilization? Oy, I lost a lot of my life to that game...

1:05 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

i had no problem with my jaywalkers, but i knit them top down, and i fiddled with the pattern to compensate for the thicker yarn i was using and for the fact that i have gigantic feet.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! Pharoah is the BOMB!! ;o)

Welcome to my Jaywalker hell...I have yet to knit a pair that fits over my fat heels (though RR says they're not fat, it's impossible for them to be fat and they're actually big boned (said in a Cartman voice...isn't he hilarious.)) ;o)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been having lots of problems getting my knitting done lately- I attribute my ennui to my dissertation and the growing stress of the looming job search that will begin at the end of the summer. Your socks, however, look fantastic, and I hope the fit issues resolve themselves.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I often do two plain rounds between decrease (or increase in your case) rounds on gussets. That works a lot better for my foot. Those colors are beautiful in the Jaywalker pattern.

Looking forward to seeing what you plan with the Regia Silk.

I, too, have a new VLT project planned. I just feel the need to get at least one WIP done before I start.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home