Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Knitting Book Reviews - Lace Style

First, I want to say congratulations to Eunny Jang for becoming the next editor of Interweave Knits. (I can't imagine any regular blog reader NOT knowing this by now as Blogland is buzzing with the news.) Interweave has always been my favorite knitting magazine - I like that they usually have a sock pattern each issue as well as all their sweaters. I like that the magazine hasn't been "dumbed down" with the influx of new knitters. While I love that new people are continuously finding the craft, I never tell new knitters that something is too hard for them. About socks I tell them not to fear all the needles, that you are just working on two at a time just like regular knitting; the rest of the needles are just stitch holders. About lace I tell them that it's just knit togethers and yarn overs. I think most people can handle things beyond their comfort level and if not, there are plenty of books and magazines out there for beginners and intermediate knitters. I really like that the designs in IK (in both the magazine and their books) are not labeled with their difficulty and that the designs are sometimes a bit challenging, but completely doable for many knitters. Seeing what Eunny knits and designs, the talent and care she puts into the designs (have you seen this sweater?!) and her knowledge of techniques, I have confidence that the magazine will continue to offer challenges to knitters as well as beautiful stuff.

Now, for Lace Style. I honestly like just about every pattern in this book. Not all are me, so I won't be making them all, but there are a few that I really like and will probably make. First of all, I'd like to say something about the photography. It is not like Scarf Style where often the photos tend to the artistic side and you can't really see details. This book often has several shots of the same project from different angles much like the magazine's new format. I like the Point About Cuffs, nice little lacy cuffs that can be worn under a blazer. The Lily of the Valley Shawl is by Nancy Bush. Need I say more? Evelyn A. Clark has some adorable little Floral Lace Anklets. There are several pretty tanks/corsets - Lace-Edged Corset, The Essential Tank Top (a very lacy leafy pattern), and the Shetland Shawl turned Vest which is nice and lacy. I love the Katharine Hepburn Cardigan, very clean lines and elegant, and there are a couple of nice shrugs though I'm not really a shrug person. My favorite of the whole book though has to be the Ooh La Lace Dress and Stole by Shirley Paden which can be seen here. I really don't know why I'm in love with this dress, but I think it would look so cool in red with a long black sheath underneath. Anyway, I think this book is really a nice addition to my library and if you like lace, but not shawls, this really is a good book for you. I've just told you about a few of my favorite projects, but there are several more (including a couple of cool hats which, if I was a hat person, the Greta Garbo Garden hat is pretty cool).

Now, I really hope to have some pictures for you on Friday. Not that I've been doing much knitting. Working on the Jaywalkers a little, but I've been stung by the cross-stitching bug for a little while.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the Lace Style review! It's definitely on my list.

I'm excited about Eunny and IK, too! IK is my favorite magazine, although I have to say that the layout changes in the last magazine were not, in my opinion, for the best...

9:42 AM  
Blogger Prachi said...

I was also pleasantly surprised by the news about Eunny, and am now contemplating a subscription to Interweave.
Better a crossstitch bug than any other kind, and we don't mind seeing some of its results here either!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree about Lace Style. It's a nice book with some tempting patterns.

I did end up buying Stephanie Japel's Fitted Knits after taking a much closer look at it in Barnes and Noble last week (skimmed pretty much all of it first). I can bring it to April's meeting for you to see. Interesting patterns and interesting shaping methods.

My copy of No Sheep for You! arrived from Amazon!! Yay! I just picked it up this morning and haven't started reading it yet. I may not allow myself to open it, because I have grad school stuff to do. :-( Oh, and my IK FINALLY came yesterday, too.

10:55 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

thanks for the review -- it's on my amazon wish list.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Great review and I'm so jazzed about Eunny becoming editor for IK. I'm a little disappointed with they're new layout though. I liked how the pattern was right up there with the photos of the project. Ah well.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Great review! I like several projects in it myself.

I am very excited about Eunny at IK! She is a phenomenal knitter and designer.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home