Monday, March 05, 2007

New Socks and More

My new socks:

Pattern: Oriel from Sensational Knitted Socks; it was my first toe up sock and I might just be hooked. I only had a few yards leftover. I've been asked about the toe-up heel flap and here's a closeup.

It's from SKS and really is a neat thing. You work it back and forth along the heel and pick up the stitches along the bottom of the heel instead of the back and then you work around, decreasing as you go up and working the slip 1, knit 1 between stitch markers for the back of the heel. The heel flap really does cup the foot on the to up heel very nicely. I highly recommend trying it.
Yarn: Apple Laine in Blueberry. I really need some more of this stuff. Gorgeous and feels so nice. It has wool, mohair and a little bit of silk and nylon.
Needles: Size 0s, my usual. I love the fabric with 0s.

Now for the more:

Tonight is my polymer clay demonstration at my knitting guild meeting. I'm going to demonstrate how to make polymer clay buttons. Here are some of the buttons I've made with molds. The two upper ones on the right were painted after baking with artist's acrylic paints and then varnished with a polymer clay gloss and the rest (except for the pink one which was not touched at all) were decorated using a brush and Pearl-Ex powders before baking, then varnished after baking. The tutorials on buttons are on the sidebar. Wish me luck.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luck! Luck!

Ah, you don't need it - you'll do great!

Looking forward to this tonight!

Jan

9:00 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The buttons are wonderful - you don't need luck, you've got talent.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

You'll do great, because your buttons and tutorial are fabulous! The socks turned out really well, too.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Prachi said...

Good luck! you'll do great, because these are really beautiful. I am a big fan of toe ups, but I always do them with short-row toes and heels. Should try this method. The socks are pretty!

10:40 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Wonderful buttons. I'd rather have a hands on class than a tutorial;-)
Nice socks.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Gorgeous socks and beautiful buttons!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Those socks are just beautiful. I love the close up of that heel. The buttons are gorgeous! What talent! I think you'll be fantastic tonight without a doubt! Good luck anyway!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I've got to try a toe up heel flap, I'm not a fan of short row heels.
Do you always decorate your buttons instead of using colored polymar?

4:25 PM  
Blogger Pugknits said...

yay, another pair of handknitted socks!

my fav would be that lovely peachy pink button at the middle-bottom.

two months?..hehheh...you crack me up... :)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I'm so glad you tried the oriel and finished! I gave it a go and quit (not for good, but for the time being). It's nice to see a finished pair. :)

And your buttons make me to take up a new craft!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Beautiful buttons! I like how with polymer clay you can exactly match colors if you want to. I'll have to study your tutorials as I have lots of cardigans I want to knit!

The socks look great! I've not knit toe up yet as I don't think I'd like short row heels. But this pattern seems worth trying.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hope your demo went well. Your buttons are very pretty.

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These socks are absolutely beautiful! I've never done toe up socks before, have always been sticking to the tried-and-true way of bottom-up - but these socks are definitely inspiring enough to try my hands at it too soon! Congratulations on a great accomplishment! And - I adore the buttons!

5:22 AM  
Blogger vtwopoint5 said...

I love the socks! After seeing yours, I want to try that pattern. The buttons are pretty nifty too!

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!! I'm a bit late but I'm sure you did fabulous. I love those buttons!!
kimberly
www.thegivingflower.de

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Wonderful socks! And someone else (Lime 'n' Violet, maybe?) was raving about that Apple Laine yarn. I may have to track down some!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful sockage!! I love those colors :o)

Have fun with your class!

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking buttons! I'm off to read your tutorial.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home